Olde English, Floor Stain and Poly

I put Olde English floor restorer on my floor because of some scratches. On another section, I used Cabot stain. In both cases, I went over the old floor finish. I didn't sand, I just wiped it on, wiped off the excess.

My question is, can I put a polyurethane over these when they are dry, or should I continue to wipe until no more stain comes off on the rags?

Reply to
celticsoc

Wipe the excess and let it dry a few days and it should be OK. Give it a quick wipe with mineral spirits to help get of any excess if there is a lot. Poly over stain is very common

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have done poly over regular oil stain before, so that area wasn't the concern. It was mostly the olde English, since I was told that it was a product which was not normally used for that application, but for use as a conditioner after a floor was finshed. In other words, it would go *over* poly, not under it. However, I went ahead with it and have completed the project. It came out great (for the condition of the underlying floor).

Thanks for the answer.

Reply to
celticsoc