Super taps - how to take apart?

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here, although they're described as "supper taps":

of them barely turns and is extremely tight - Does anyone know how to take them apart? Apparently if you undo the nut at the top of the rotating body then it still doesn't come apart. What extra steps are necessary to dis-assemble?

Reply to
Rory_Fire

Actually Supataps.

Go:

and scroll down.

Reply to
Rod

Ah! Thank you so much! I've Googled for hours and that spelling didn't come up!!

Reply to
Rory_Fire

Does help that my mother's house had them. :-)

Reply to
Rod

IME just change them for a cheap monoblock mixer.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:21:22 +0000, Rory snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote (in article ):

I had those fitted in my bathroom when I moved to my present house. I had plumbers in twice and neither had any clue how to repair them so eventually I had to replace them them with conventional taps. Shame really.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Ironic really since they were designed to be able change the washer without turning off the supply. Anyone know why they fell out of favour? Was it the advent of the deck mixer which killed them off?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I guess they fell out of fashion - one style only...........!

Reply to
John

Sorry if I'm missing something but that won't work as there are two separate holes for H & C at the moment.

The existing hot supatap works perfectly, but the cold will only undo about a quarter turn (hot turns 3-4 time) and even then it takes great force to turn it.

I not the dis-assembly instructions say to release the gland nut (I bet that won't be easy!) and then undo the tap. But if it won't turn now then is it likely to be any easier with the gland nut removed?

Reply to
Rory_Fire
[snip]

But it was much less likely to blow off the tap under pressure if the hose got kinked. It had loops which hooked over the knobbly bits of the tap.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

We has some that I rather liked. A bit of a design classic IMO but my better half thought they were naff so they had to go. :-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Crikey they are expensive. We used to have them all through the house - kitchen sink, bath and basin - and I thought they were great. Chucked them away when they went out of fashion and replaced them with mixers though....

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

I changed washers on them many years ago - a doddle once you work out how and all without turning the water off !

Reply to
robert

I know it's 11 years later, but I really, really would like to find one of those adapters. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
caravellemike

How much are you prepared to pay?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thank you so much, Tim ! I have bought it. I have been looking for years an d never found one. Expensive yes, but cheaper than having a plumber instal l an outside tap or a new set of taps on the sink, and I have probably spen t more than that already on various combinations of adapter hardware that d idn't really work.

Thanks again

Michael

Reply to
caravellemike