Suggestions welcome for a backdoor step

Total height from bottom of door to ground approx 16 inches.

Any ideas of the best way for a DIYer.

2 full slabs on top of each other followed by 2 half slabs ???

Would you have the knobbly side of the slabs upwards ???

Any suggestions

Reply to
Mr Big

Yes, 3 pieces of half inch ply 16" high and the lenght of one doorwide and the two side however wide you want them. Nail the three pieces together,shove the box shape hard against the door area prop it up with bricks so it don't move. Get some sand and cement, make a mix and add some course aggragate then pour into box.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

oops! make that...

3 pieces of half inch ply 8"

As you want step down from door edge to step then step to ground.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Last time I did a step I dug down about 4" and cast a slab, built the sides up with bricks then cast a 2.5" reinforced slab on top and covered it all with quarry tiles.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Of course, any step at all would likely not be Part M compliant....

Reply to
Phil

Come on then why not ??

I suppose it now has to have a slope.

Reply to
Mr Big

Assuming the slabs are 4" thick? That would work, but I've not seen 4" slabs myself.

Yes, to add non slip properties.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The added problem I have now discovered, is that right under the door, is an airbrick.

So I suppose I cannot use anything solid and permanent as the step.

The step used to be an open wooden pair of steps, but they have rotted and were always a pain in freezing weather and slippy. Any ideas of how to make a wooden tread non slippy ??

Reply to
Mr Big

you could build in brick and put a vent either side of the step to allow air flow, maybe?

Reply to
Gav

Varnish it and whilst still tacky, sprinkle it with sand.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman