Suggestions for backup restore programs widows 10?

iam looking for reliable backup and restore program for windows 10.i have tried Acronis and found it a problem. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
Broadback

The Natural Philosopher

I've moved away from Acronis a couple of years ago, after finding I couldn't recover some individual files from the timeline.

I've been using Macrium Reflect, the free version to start with, but then moved on to the paid version to get full, incremental, and differential backups. I like the way in which Macrium lets you mount and backup as a virtual drive, and browse and extract individual folder/file. It's good for drive imaging as well.

Davidm

An excellent program, been using it for many years and never had a problem with it. Got me out of trouble several times. Recommended.

Figaro

Every day dawns with opportunity

*****************************
Reply to
Figaro

More likely to get a useful answer if you say what you found to be a problem with Acronis.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Left side, blue button down the page "Home Use".

Windows 10 needs version 7 or a well-patched version 6 to capture the damaged NTFS partitions Windows 10 makes. Damaged $MFTMIRR, Volume Bitmap, addition of new-compression-format.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

What is wrong with the built in Windows program? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The problem with Acronis was when I came to do my first restore it failed, but had completely wiped my C drive, it took ages to recover.

Reply to
Broadback

For a few years now Microsoft have been playing around with Windows Subsystem for Linux. Originally it was rubbish, but I recently installed the latest version (Ubuntu on Windos) and it is looking much more promising, it has rsync preinstalled.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think I would prefer that to cygwyn, if I wanted to use rsync.

Reply to
Pancho

The average commercial backup software, comes with a 150 page user manual.

Where is the 150 page manual for the (collection of) backup methods in Windows ?

Do you know which Windows backup method overwrites the old backup ?

You end up writing your own manual, by testing it.

If you're relying on other people to test this for you, and help you get yourself out of a jam later, that's ... cheating :-) And is hardly a recommendation for the method.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

+1 for Macrium Reflect
Reply to
Allan

I did look but do you get any free upgrades to later versions once you have committed?

Also, say you install it on your current machine then upgrade (replace) that machine, can you carry that MR instance over?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure about the upgrades, certainly interim bugfix releases are free. Yes you can move it another machine, but you have to remove the registration key, log that with Macrium, then install on the new machine. Detailed instructions are on their support pages.

Reply to
Davidm

windows 7 backup. Works for me. Still present in Win10 if you search for it.

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

A couple of programs (well, apps mainly) I've liked and bought (rather than just carrying on with the free / cut down version) have given free upgrades for life. I guess it doesn't cost them much extra if you can still use the older version (maybe without features you might not use).

I think that would be the norm, especially for any 'domestic' related product?

That's cool, thanks.

Understood.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If the old machine has failed beyond use, you can notify them and they will clear the key for re-use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Me too. Just choose the files you want backing up

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Late to the party, probably OTT for the OP, but if ye have a few windows and linux computers on a network and can dedicate a server 24/7 to look after automated file and image backups, urbackup

is probably worth a look, though it will take a little effort getting going "just right" for your data, ye can run it with the simple defaults.

The files are stored in Microsoft's VHD format, and I'm using a btrfs formatted disk for storage. I'd opted for a local single disk, as dumping this data on a NAS or going for RAID would be a waste. My initial disk for this failed with bad blocks while trialing it out, a replacement resynced from the database with very little issues.

Various server installation options including installs on Linux, QNAP, FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, Docker etc. For convenience, I'm using Docker on Debian. It's possible on a Raspberry Pi at a pinch, but I'd worry about that being reliable enough long term.

Urbackup passes the 150 page manual test(!), and has guides on youtube on how to install it. It has a web UI and pretty good reporting on what it is doing.

Early days for me, but looking good so far.

I've much more confidence using this than some propriety thing with lock-in or dumbed down actions that can't be customised.

Open Source. Yay! :)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Thanks but too complicated for me, seems a professional solution.

Reply to
Broadback