Suddenly I'm a Handyman!

Bradford? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

There was a programm on tv recently where a guy did a magic act and wanted to earn extra money or somthing. Anyway the financial guru chappy wanted him to contact corporate customers because they were always entertaining and often needed some entertainment. He seemed to think this was a good source of work and some of it mid-week as well.

A neighbour on our street has the same handyman booked in for a couple of days a month. They always have things for him to do and it suits them very well. As someone else said - cash rich, time poor. Contractors would be a good target market because they can always earn more doing thier job than mucking about with a sink.

Maybe for small jobs you could quote for the job in hand using your high first hourly rate then offer a competitive half or full day to do any other jobs they have kicking around. Everyone ALWAYS has unfinished things which just stare at them all the time. If the householder feels that they would get better value for money AND get a handful of those annoying finishing off jobs done then it could be attractive. You then get to do a single job in one place and reduce you travelling and job hunting overheads. I believe in your parlance you would call it 'up-selling' is that correct?

I think the key to reputation has to be honesty. If you over-run on a previous job, then as soon as you know you wont be at the next one, ring them and let them know straight away. Everyone has mobiles these days there is just no-excuse for being kept waiting for hours because someone can't be bothered to call you.

Be transparent about your costs as well. If it will cost you =A35 to come back and get payment another day explain this and ask for payment on the day.

And finally if you do not want a job then just say so. No false, overinflated quotes, no 'I'll ring you at the end of the week'. Just tell people so they can get on with looking for someone else. If you are polite and explain why you don't want to do it they are more likely to come back and try you for other jobs. Nothing is more likely to get a tradesman onto my blacklist than not returning calls.

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

It is a good source of well paid work, although it can be difficult to find. One large agency gets most of the 'venue' business and it's difficult to get on their books. Certainly something I'm looking at.

Good idea, as you say everyone always has unfinished jobs - including me!

Selling up! Yes.

I think that's the key as well. Communication is important. That seems to be the biggest grype with tradesmen, they don't grasp the concept of 'customer care'.

Payment on the day is going to be a strict condition. I've seen too many small business's suffer from slow payers.

Good advice, thanks.

Dave

Reply to
david lang