stud wall repair

Hello,

A cable for a light switch got lost inside a stud wall. It's a long story but I think that what we thought was plasterboard-void-plasterboard has turned out to be plasterboard-void-plasterboard-plasterboard-void-plasterboard and the cable was behind a hidden inner wall!

I used a Zircon stud detector (see other post) and that gave me a lot of false positives so I've made a few holes looking! I'm just wondering what to do for the best. On the one hand the wall is still quite sturdy: there is still more plasterboard than holes! If I just fill the holes, this might be quickest but is it a bodge?

Would I be better to cut the holey section back to the nearest stud, put in a couple of noggins and re-plasterboard the resulting rectangle? Or am I just making unnecessary work for myself?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Wahtever looks fastest.

Myself, I bodge in anything that will hold up and use bonding plaster to gap fill, and then finish plaster to finish, and then an orbital sander to make my execrable plastering smooth.

If you can plaster, rip the board down and start again. If like me you can't to save your life, then just fill away.

For large holes you can either wedge bits of board in, or simply stuff in newspaper and then using bonding plaster on top. Its stronger than plasterboard an you can use it in very thick layers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably. But it's really hard to say without looking at the situation - it's a judgement call based on how big your holes are, how close together they are etc.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The usual method is to put something behind the hole, eg a bit of PB, wood, or anything really, then fill the lot up with plaster or filler (If your backing material is soft, eg newspaper, you put a layer of plaster on and let it harden first). If holes are large or numerous, you might be better starting again with a new board, your call. If you've got the time you can always try one, and if its not good enough do the other.

NT

Reply to
meow2222