Stud Finders

Any recommendations for something to locate studs behind plasterboard? The combined stud/pipe/cable finders seem to get mixed reviews.

And I know about drilling a hole and using a coat-hanger but they have only just finished the plastering.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, I'd give mine (a Bosch) a mixed review.

Don't discount how well a dozen strong magnets to find the screws works.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Had good results with a Zircon - think it was this one:

was about 30 quid)

Tried all kind of tapping, even with a tuning app on my phone, to no result. The Zircon found the stud in seconds.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes and if you do get those magnets for goodness sake never ever let them clip together, you will never get them apart. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The trick with these devices is the design of the coil. Some are too focussed and its like a needle in a haystack. I wish I could remember one a friend showed me, it had two distinct modes, one which located the general area, and another obviously using a smaller coil that could locate it from there. They are, as far as I know only little metal detectors and should also be able to detect the difference between ferrous and non ferrous metals as well. I used to love these things when I could see, much fun scanning our walls showed up some metal in very odd places, but my mother would not let me demolish the wall to find out what they were! Grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm not talking about magnets that'll take your arm off, just small discs 5-10mm across by about 2-3mm thick

Reply to
Andy Burns

My internal walls are lathe and plaster with the plaster being 10 to

15mm thick rather than thin skimmed plasterboard and I found the Zircon stud finder to be no use on my type of wall BUT I have no real experience with it on plasterboard walls.

However I also have a Zircon M40 metal detector and I found this ideal for finding the studs - or rather the nails holding the lathe to the stud.

alan_m

Tap the wall with a knuckle?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My technique is to suspend one from a foot or so of cotton, hold the top of the cotton against the wall and then move it around. You quite quickly spot even well buried nails or screws by the anomalous movements.

Reply to
newshound

Not seen them before. £64 on Amazon to save you looking it up.

Reply to
newshound

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

The most reliable way to finally confirm where a stud is, is via the use of a strong magnet. Find a row of screw or nail heads, mark them and you have located the stud.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have a very powerful circular magnet (ex microwave?) which will definately find the heads of the plasterboard nails hidden under ceiling artex. I can actually feel the tugging as I pass it over a ferrous nail/screw head.

Reply to
Andrew

This is DIY, surely wind your own coil on an old bog roll, insert a iron core and connect up to DC battery ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Albeit a few years ago I paid nothing like that price for it. I guess that there is still difficulty in supplying from the USA. Many UK companies are saying out-of-stock. Some US sites are listing it at under $20.

A random check gives £42

I placed an Amazon order for an item 2 weeks ago which came to £30 including postage. I got the delivery notification today and went to the Amazon site to see which of my outstanding orders was actually on the van. The same item I purchased for a few pence under £30 is now listed at £62!!!!

Reply to
alan_m

What's it like for plasterboard with a metallised vapour barrier?

Reply to
Fredxx

No idea, as a wrote before many of my internals wall are lathe and plaster with a very thick plaster layer.

Reply to
alan_m

The Zircon on Amazon is £42 when I follow the link?

Reply to
Murmansk

Another phantom delivery

From their tracking

Delivery attempted today at 2:41 PM Unfortunately, we ran into an issue when attempting your delivery. We will try again.

I know with 100% certainty that no delivery was attempted at that time or for at least 30 minutes before or after that time!

Reply to
alan_m

Weird, this one is giving me £64

newshound