Finding wood in stud walls

OK I live in a flat that was built about 30 years ago and internal walls are just stud/plasterboard and i need to hang something that weighs a fair bit (guess it's about 5-10KG), when i moved in about 25 years ago i bought a Black & Decker thing that sniffed out metal and wood objects but i found a bit hit and miss, is there anything on the market nowadays that is reliable and accurate and is below £30 if poss, I will pay more if i have to but would rather not. Banging on the wall till i hear change in tone may work but i'd prefer tool as i may get to train the wife to use it :)

Reply to
Jim

I have a 2mm masonry bit so I bang until I'm in the right area and just drill a series of holes to find either edge of the wood. The extra accuracy means that coach screws etc aren't hanging on to the edge by their finger tips - important to me as I do lots of hanging heavy things from ceilings.

The series of holes then tend to disappear behind whatever I'm fitting. And if I'm completely out then a tub of filler sorts out the mess ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

Use a powerful magnet wrapped in tape to locate fasteners.

Once you find two or three in a vertical line, you have a stud.

Reply to
Mark

I use a Stud detector .. very accurate Zircon Multiscan less than £30 Think I got mine off Amazon

There seems to be an updated version with LCD... mine has LED display

rick

I still find tapping and probing with a small sharp bradawl to be the easiest way - my (old) Zircon is not that good. Maybe they improved...

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 - Done that one ceilings. Neodymium fridge magnets - stick one on every nail/screw and you get a goo picture of the centre line, even allowing for the odd one that is off.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Ok on studs wall with a plasterboard/thin skin covering.

On lath and plaster walls I have found that the Zircon stud detectors do work but not that reliable. Magnets were also a bit hit and miss due to the thickness of the plaster. I found a Zircon metal detector to find the line of nails in the stud to be the easiest and most reliable method.

Be careful if you want to buy it as some well known retailers, such as Amazon, charge 2x to 7x more than other retailers. I purchased one for around around £25 a year ago.

Reply to
alan_m

Mark and others many thanks for your replies indeed the magnet trick has done the job and saved me a good few quid so many thanks everyone, now need to go and find the right fixing to allow me to hang up my motorcycle jacket and trousers (about 30kg).

Jim

Reply to
Jim

If it really is plasterboard on studs, tapping with a knuckle is going to be just as good, IMHO. I've never found a detector that is 100% perfect. So usually end up drilling tiny holes to find the stud centre anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)