Stud Wall and BCO

Hi all

This question arose as a result of an earlier post, but is sufficiently disconnected to warrant a new thread.

A poster mentioned building control for stud walls in general and I wondered whether their involvement would be necessary in my proposed mod.

The idea is to wall off one (narrow) end of a 3m wide room to create a store room. Would this require building regs/BCO visit/approval.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I'm not really an expert but I think it would depend on a few things ... however if you phone up building control and explain what you are doing then I am sure they will give a definitive anwser (and you'll have a record of the conversation right?).

Alex.

Reply to
Alex W

Oddly enough, I asked a similar question to Dad's council's senior BCO this (got lucky and bumped into him whilst at the office to discuss a planning issue).

I only asked, because of fire safety implications (wanted to subdivide a dormer conversion, but would end up with a bedroom off a bedroom with no

*direct* access to stairs.

He answered the question with a "that's perfectly fine as long as the room has building regs compliant windows WRT firemans access/occupants escape". Simple.

Didn't say I needed a building notice. Which I never imagined I would - but I was aware of fire safety implications, which is why I asked.

So I agree completely, give them a call.

It would *never* occur to me to get a building notice on non-structural dry-wall work but all the same, it mustn't end up contravening the regs, which are mostly about common sense anyway. Pay attention to any aspects of this which would make things worse if, heaven forbid, you had a fire. Also, consider if the wall could help spread a fire in some way.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Mmm.

The way it goes is this.

BC applies to 'material alterations'. That actually covres just about anything you do to alter the structure, and/or fittings of a building.

In terms of whacking up stud walls, it IS a material alteration.

Now this may or may not involve the regulations though.

Things that do impact are

- subdivision of rooms: Ventilation, fire safety, potential disabled access possibly,

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper heights blah blah.

- bogs baths and basins. Must meet ventialtion/drainage etc regs.

And of course any windows added must meet correct specs for thermal conductivity and ability to jump out if e.g. habitable areas etc. etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely if this is an old house with existing wiring, the heights of wall sockets won't be at issue? Ie, if the rest of the house has them positioned sensibly at a few inches above the skirting board, there's no compulsion to fit any new ones on the new stud partition at stupid heights is there?

He asks hopefully...

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you fit ANY new sockets in a house, they SHOULD be at regulation height.

The whole issue of buidling control is to ensure that every time someone touches a house, fixtures or fittings, anything NEW is to current regs.

So if you REPIAR an old socket by replacing its frnt bit - fine.

If you add a NEW socket, it should be in the correct cripple-electrocution band...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't worry. Part M only applies to NEW buildings. Not even extensions to old buildings are currently covered though this may change in future. Rumour is that once the "10% of all inprovements are insulation" and "insulation survey on sale" are established that similar treatment for disability features will follow.

Reply to
Mike

Hi

I honestly thought that this aspect (and many others) of Part M only applied to new builds? Or perhaps to extensions. I've not noticed this particular point as being required as part of minor mods to existing dwellings, when I've been going through a guidebook to the BR. I don't have the means to check right now, so I can't really give anything to back this up and concede I could be wrong.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Hmm. Thanks for the info. I *thought* I had a rough idea of scope of BC (Structural, Parts P,M,L and the bits I can't remember the letters for things like fire, ventilation and drainage.)

Does that mean I need a BNA to install a shower as opposed to just doing it correctly (yes, I am going to deal with ventilation and drainage requirements, I don't wish to rot my own dwelling. Roofs are expensive to fix!)

No, better not answer that, or I shall be required to retort in general (and not aimed at your good self) with an incredulous remark along the lines of: fascist-state/orifice/BNA/insert

;->

They can't even get people to comply with the obviously safety related parts of BC like not digging bloody great big holes right next to your neighbours house, how would they expect to check if my windowless-bathroom fan was upto scratch...

ho diddy dum...

Best wishes

Tim

Reply to