Structural Engineer

We are doing a dormer conversion on our chalet bunglow front and back(It already has small dormers at front and back . We have planning permission for the front and have architects drawings for this part. We are doing the rear conversion under permitted development and at present only have sketches. I was wondering whether I should get a structural engineer now involved for drawings or whether a builder would have access to one he could work with. I am not exactly sure what happens next. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

I got a structural engineeer through

to advise and sign off my own drawings but you could also use a architect or architectural technican to do the drawings. They'd need to use a structural engineer to sign-off also.

Personally I wouldn't trust that to the builder but the main problem is the builder would be quoting for the building design unseen which means only one thing, you will pay for it and some.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

You are almost certainly going to need a structural engineer's calculations for the building regulations approval.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Which can be knocked out by any competent architect with a copy of Superbeam, or for that matter, your could do it yourself.

Depends a bit on what you want to design. The only bit of the rear dormer on my loft conversion that was "designed" (i.e. with full calcs) were the spec for the roof beams. A task I would have no worries about doing myself in the future.

Reply to
John Rumm