Drawings for planning

Hi all

I have had a meeting with my local planners today who were most helpful. I probably only need to get a certificate of lawful development. I will need to get some proper drawings done as my scribbled efforts are not enough!!!

My questions are

  1. What is the cheapest way to get them done, does an architectural technician do the same as an achitect??
  2. Can anyone recommend one in the glos area as planning said that they are not allowed to recommend any!
Reply to
MadJen

My council planning dept denied there being such a thing as a "certificate of lawful development". They said I would have to apply for planning permission to find out if I needed planning permission ! So I just decided for myself (having read their rules !)

Cheapest way ? DIY of course. I did a single storey extension using VectorEngineer Pro-Tools. But you have to read up /ask about the regs. If no time for that, use an architectural technician. No idea what extra an "architect" does, except have grandiose ideas and test his flights of fancy at your expense. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

AIUI an architectural technician is a modern word for a draughtsman, innit? I could be wrong. I would suspect that if you use plans specified by an architectural technician and the resulting building falls down due to some c*ck-up he made, you might find the liability aspects different to if an architect had drawn up the specs. But I could be wrong about that too.

David

Reply to
Lobster

A Certificate of Lawful Development is only to say that land use us lawful at present or that planning permission is not required for a proposed use.

You do not apply for a CLD and then for planning permission, the two things are different.

Anyone can do drawings for planning, as long as they are competent. An architect is overkill (and overpriced) for typical domestic work. Unless you need the 'arty' input, then a technician, surveyor or similar professional will do. Incidently, many architect practices employ technicians to do the actual drawings!

Check out some of the local planning drawings done by architects and see how poor they are and poor value too compared to all the others submitted by non-architects. Generally the architect drawn ones have some pretty trees and nice shadow shading to distinguish them.

Have a look at your local planning list - either at the library or online, and see which agent is doing the most or better work.

dg

Reply to
dg

My BCO experience (20 years back) were that architectural technicians generally did a sound job and were often more clued up about the regs than many architects. But ATs are probably best at the routine extension and loft conversion jobs that don't need anything much in the way of aesthetic input.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Planning only requires an idea of the size, the shape, and the materials to be used in construction: I did my own planning drawings and then handed over to an architect AFTER I had permission to ensure it met building regulations etc...a far more complex thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Technically, you don't normally need to bother getting this done at all. If the planners have looked at it and agreed that it is permitted development, there is no lawful impediment to you just proceeding without any certification at all.

However, there is a risk if it turns out that if the permitted development shouldn't be allowed, so it is up to you if you take the risk.

I didn't bother getting any certificate or confirmation letter for my full former loft conversion (I did ask for one through their email service, but got no reply). I haven't been asked to pull it down yet! (And yes, it is going through building control).

If you still want them, then just redo your scribbled ones with a ruler. The important things to ensure are that sizes of extensions and distances to boundaries are correct. You should also mark any highway, which is normally taken to include any public footpath.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

|Hi all | |I have had a meeting with my local planners today who were most helpful. I |probably only need to get a certificate of lawful development. I will need |to get some proper drawings done as my scribbled efforts are not enough!!!

Not strictly about planning drawings but:

It is always worth getting *good* drawings done for anything which is going to cost real money. They make you thing where you want it, how big it will be, how close A will be to B, how thick the walls will be and so on.

I just did drawings for a block of M and F toilets to fit into space which was not really big enough. Thus I was not really satisfied with the result. The ?owners? rejected my ideas and just started building with basic ideas as to what they wanted, but no plans. I cost them a lot of money building things, and pulling them down when the toilets turned out to be too small, etc. etc.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

They didn't do our new offices did they? ;-)

Reply to
adder1969

Same with me (as I said earlier). It's a relief to know other people (loads I guess) are in the same boat. Mine not built yet - still doing up bathroom ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson