Strange WiFi SSID

In the last day or two a new network has appeared on my computer’s WiFi list.

It has the name of (quote) Living Room Display.C0EB.ync, (unquote).

Google is not being my friend in determining what this might relate to, the style being somewhat unusual. Yes, there is a comma after ync.

Does anyone on the group have any suggestions as to what might be using this SSID?

Reply to
Spike

Looks like a google home device (nest speaker/clock/display hub) that has lost its connection to the router's SSID and reverted to its own SSID ready for pairing ... could be from a neighbour, rather than yours?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It’s definitely not mine! Signal strength suggests a close neighbour.

Reply to
Spike

See if you can get your router or wireless access point to show you the mac address of the device.

Then you can look up the device manufacturer here:

John Rumm

The MAC address is showing on both sites as ‘Unknown’ :-(

Reply to
Spike

Perhaps it's a Smart meter display in a neighbouring property?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

One of our neighbours said something about getting a smart meter, it could well be them.

Reply to
Spike

There are some other sites:

(try just the first three groups of digits - that usually IDs the maker)

Reply to
John Rumm

what about devices that deliberately change their MAC address repeatedly in an attenpt to defeat trackers?

(I'm looking specifically at iDevices and Android devices :-) )

(it causes no end of trouble for me when I set up a MAC address Allow list and block lists.... particularly when there is an update to the device's OS.)

Reply to
SH

Thanks, but it just shows up as ‘no vendor’ or ‘unknown’. I’m beginning to think it’s an anti tracker address, as suggested by SH (for which, thanks).

The neighbour concerned has a WiFi address of VMnnnnnnn and what seems to be a subset of that that shows up as VMnnnnnnn_EXT.

The former, presumably the main network, has been missing ever since the mystery broadcaster appeared, but now there are no WiFi SSIDs being broadcast at all.

I suspect that for whatever reason the main network has gone down, and now the other parts of the network have given up looking for it.

The only reason I discovered all this is that I’ve just put in a new router, and saw the WiFi networks when getting things set up.

Reply to
Spike
<snipped for brevity>

Update:

The mystery SSID started broadcasting again, and I had time to open up the ‘information’ link and turn off Private WiFi address, getting the true MAC address, which the links suggested show it belongs to Apple Inc.

Reply to
Spike

You may be able to learn more by running software such as Acrylic on a Windows device with Wifi hardware. It will show you the MAC addresses of any wifi SSISs.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Who else?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:-)

Reply to
Spike

You may need to actually ask them, in case they are not aware of what is going on.

I had this careful with a blink Doorbell setting up its own wifi the other day. Weird. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, I see no wifi activity from mine, its supposed to be using bluetooth. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My printer transmits its own SSID, presumably to allow new computers to search for printers and then configure the PC to use that printer on the normal wifi. And it does so all the time, not just for a few minutes when it is put in "discovery mode".

Reply to
NY

Thats a virgin media router as they all have a default SSID of VMnnnnnn until you change it.

Reply to
SH

Given the ‘display’ detail in your earlier post (Sittingroom display?), plus the new Apple information, my guess would be they are using something like Apple AirPlay, either the real thing or a compatible system.

For those unfamiliar with Airplay - and I’m not an expert on the detail- it allows video etc to be set from an Apple device (usually a phone / iPad ), typically to a TV via Wi-Fi. I’ve never had need of it myself so that is about the limit of my knowledge.

If you have an iPhone, you could see if it detects any Airplay compatible devices nearby.

Reply to
Brian

That was my thought, until Spike mentioned Apple.

I wondered if, perhaps, one of his devices had updated / reset and was sending two SSIDs ( not unknown) or it could be a neighbour doing the same.

Even (some) smart plugs have a mode when they set up a “weak” local network you connect to, enter the details of your secure, real, network, and it stores them for future use. I don’t recall seeing a smart plug ever transmitting it’s own network again- unless put into the mode- but I had an access point which seemed to have a mind of its own and would transmit the SSID I set up plus the default one from time to time. You could connect to it, with the pw for ‘my’ SSID. ??? A replacement did the same.

Reply to
Brian