Sticky TRV

One of the TRVs (Thermostat Radiator Valves??) in my flat is sticking. Is it safe to have a go at dismantling it without draining the central heating system? It's a "Terrier II" in case anyone knows them, I expect they're fairly common. How do I take it to bits?

Reply to
Tom Robinson

You can take the head assembly off of the base of the valve by loosening the ring at the bottom of the head.

If the sticking is the pin in the valve base then you can try pushing it a few times using a block of wood and see whether it frees up. If not, then the valve base should be replaced, and of course that is a drain down job. The heads are not really repairable.

If you have to replace, often it is cheaper to buy the complete valve with head and base

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fantastic, it's nice and warm in here now! :o)

I took it off and the radiator became belting hot within minutes. Must remember to put it back on before the landlord comes round next time. ;) Actually, I think I'll just swap this one with one in another room actually and see what happens.

Cheers!

Reply to
Tom Robinson