High cap gutters with (apparently) low cap downpipes??

Wandered into Wickes to buy a length of their 125mm 'high capacity' gutter. No problem with that until I looked for a length of suitably large downpipe. The high cap downpieces or whatever they are called fit the same downpipes as the 112 mm low cap gutters, i.e. about 50mm diameter at a guess. Is this right?

This might not be a problem but I intend draining the entire rear roof area of my house via a single downpipe.

Even the operative in Wickes suggested that it was a little odd having only one, small diameter, downpipe and that I should seek advice.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Well I guess the point is by it's very nature - being an enclosed tube - down pipe can't overflow whereas guttering can. And guttering has a very shallow angle whereas downpipe is at 90 dgrees from the horizontal and therefore clears a lot quicker. I suppose the idea of the high capacity guttering is that it won't will fill in a downpour long enough that overspill doesn't occur until the down pipe can clear the water. Are there any fluid dynamics bods in the group?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

suitably

called fit

also have a calculator for roof area and water flow dispersal and other techie stuff.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Thanks for the link and apologies for being particularly dense (it is Sunday tho'); where do I find the calculator bit?

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard

and

(brings up a pdf file)> page 13 of that.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Thank you.

Richard