Steel tube

I made my last one in under 2 minutes. What size spindle?

that does need to be addressed, don't overspeed them. 2500 does seem slow though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The blades I've got are marked 18mm, so I assume the spindle is that. Haven't yet dug it out from its hiding place.

Not sure what sizes of bore are common for a 210mm steel cutting blade, though. Only ready made adaptor I've found is 30 to 18mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plenty on eBay, as I found when re-blading my 35 year old Bosch. In your case I would probably re-blade the B&Q.

Reply to
newshound

Not obviously different. What you have to watch is that the steel chips coming off sting a bit if they hit bare skin. I usually stick a face mask on when using it.

You need to hold square tube down firmly into the guide, preferrably use a clamp for small / irregular stuff. And don't ram the blade hard in, try to feed it gently. (I'm sure you have good mechanical "feel", this comment is for less experienced users).

Reply to
newshound

Decided to just go ahead with what I have, for cutting. Angle grinder in a stand with steel cutting discs. And wondered if I'm using the wrong technique?

A new disc cuts well, but soon seems to get blunt (or clogged) without looking badly worn. Thinking it might be my Chinese Bosch ones, bought some Rhodius (made in Germany) from ToolStation, which were more expensive. And if anything they are worse.

It's cutting through the top of the square that is the problem. Once through that it rips down the sides. And I can rotate it to cut the bottom vertically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Grinding discs depend on pressure, which drops as teh disc sinks into the work. I rotate workpiece or keep altering grinder position to keep cut rate up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you tried starting with it rotated by 45 degrees, then in 90 degree steps - so that you are always cutting into a corner?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Did wonder about that. Sadly the vice on the stand isn't big enough to allow mounting the tube at 45 degrees.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looking at the grinder stand, I can adjust the position of the vice relative to the blade. At the moment it is set so the blade hits the centre of the tube face. I'll try altering it so it hits a corner first. The vice isn't big enough to hold the tube at 45 degrees.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After some experimenting found a decent place for the vice so the disc starts the cut on a corner. Needed a packing piece for the movable part as the thread wasn't long enough. But have now managed a clean cut with only one rotation of the work. About half way through now so having a coffee and cake. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got a tip out of all this. For those who don't regularly cut steel with and angle grinder. Ie, like me.

Reverse the disc once in a while. They seem to go 'blunt' quite quickly. Reversing it reverses the effect. I assume it gets sort of clogged up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shouldn't really happen with steel. Aluminium, yes, but not steel.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Err, I've just said it does. I'd suggest you try it before commenting.

I cut ally with my circular saw. Gives a perfect cut. Hence me asking earlier about similar for steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're possibly not pressing hard enough - the wheel needs to lose the blunted/clogged grit to expose fresh abrasive. The resin that bonds the abrasive particles is designed to wear away at a rate suitable for whatever material the disc is designed to cut, so it will be pretty tough for steel. Try taking multiple nibbles (press and release, press and release ...) rather than applying steady pressure in one go.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Here, that seemed to produce the very worst results. Best way was short sharp bursts allowing things to cool in between. But I didn't try massive pressure.

That's what I did. But the thing still stopped cutting.

Best results on this square tube would likely have been with a corner square to the disc. But the vice on the stand not big enough to allow this. Once it had sort of broken through, it cut just fine.

Other thing was with the maximum depth of cut with this setup, anything other than starting with the tube flat and square in the vice required more than one pass.

But job's finished now and OK. Perhaps I should just have bought the aluminium version of the tube, as that cuts perfectly using my circular saw. But it is over twice the price. Probably strong enough for the job, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)