Steel tube

For a start, you don't know the size of the speakers. The stands also include a mounting for the power amp for the speaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. I don't because psychic v1.0 not installed. Enlighten me and then provide cost difference between the two sources. Always willing to learn.

Reply to
Richard

Tungsten tipped blades cut mild steel with ease. I have an evolution mitre saw (£25 second off ebay). You need a fine toothed blade for something with thin walls. Also be gentle.

I used it for alu 20x20 extrusions for a bit of 3d printer I was modifying a few weeks ago and the result was perfect.

I have also used it to "plane" down metal after giving up with a file.

Reply to
dennis

It's Richardsons I'm using. I just used the name Speedframe (but got it wrong) as the generic for a push together system.

I did at one time buy the Dexion version from a local place which gave a big discount. But they have close down or moved. Dexion (at one time) did a 3/4" version which looks better with smaller speakers. Was available in satin chrome too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looking on Ebay, discovered I can buy a steel cutting blade for the 305 x

30 Makita. But don't want to risk any damage to that.

IIRC, the B&Q had an odd centre size, so would probably need to find an adaptor too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, if you want a copy of the order, here it is. If you want to work out the most expensive way of building them. ;-)

Code Name Details Qty Price TZ3WF 25mm Square Tube System

3 Way Flat Joint Black 16 £56.00 (16 x £3.50) TZAFS 25mm Square Tube System Adjustable Feet PACK 4 2 £10.40 (2 x £5.20) TZ3TB 25mm Square Tube System 3m Length Black Steel Square Tube Black 3 £25.50 (3 x £8.50) TZ2W 25mm Square Tube System 2 Way Joint Black 4 £12.00 (4 x £3.00) TZSF/BA 25mm Square Tube System 2m Length Aluminium Single Finned Square Tube Black 1 £16.00 (1 x £16.00) TZ3W 25mm Square Tube System 3 Way Joint Black 4 £14.00 (4 x £3.50) Items Total: £133.90 Delivery Total: £8.50 VAT Total: £28.48 Total: £170.88
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. If I ever need to build the same, I'll keep this in mind.

Reply to
Richard

generally yes, but the aldi tct blades dulled after gently cutting through a few buried nails though

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd guess you'd need a finer tooth pitch/different tooth profile for cutting steel than the more common one for wood, etc? I've cut ally with the one supplied with my Makita.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1, I have an evolution chop saw, and it is fine for speedfit type tube, also ordinary old fashioned dexion.
Reply to
newshound

Not George Izzard O'Vearing?

May have got the spelling slightly wrong, but Google doesn't seem to remember him. But I don't doubt that some of the other posters here will!

Reply to
newshound

Do they run at a different speed from that likely with my B&Q one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ugh a few buried nails though

My rexon has no trouble cutting steel buried in wood. The wood helps it not bite too much. The aldi blades are just not very good, I won't get them ag ain.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I know my mitre saw cuts steel with ease according to Evolution, but I think I'll stick with hacksaws and angle grinders rather than risk dulling the blade. I do have some fairly large aluminium tube to cut, I'll be interested to see how it will cope with that.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Aluminium can be cut with a standard wood cutting blade, and without lubrication.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1. That's a lot of cuts though - would a chop saw/decent blade work here?
Reply to
RJH

We haven't left the EU Could the price increase be because of a 35% EU tariff imposed on steel imports?

Reply to
alan_m

I used an angle grinder with a steel cutting disc (or more accurately several) before. But the stand for it isn't as nice as the chop saw I have (but no longer use) Trouble is it's a B&Q cheapy and uses 210mm blades with an 18mm bore, so not exactly standard. And 18mm adaptor rings ain't the easiest to find either. Also not sure if it runs rather fast for a steel cutting blade - the ones I've seen say about 2500 rpm max.

There are a lot of cuts needed - something like 50 or so. My Makita makes as good a job of cutting ally tube as wood, and it would be nice to be able to get the same result as easily with steel. Not forgetting the tube is painted, so don't want to damage that through heat, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The delivery from Richardsons arrived this morning. Because of Easter, wasn't expecting it till next week. Excellent service.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think Easter counts for much, I had deliveries yesterday, sure the larger shops will be shut tomorrow but Amazon Prime deliveries for tomorrow seem available ...

Reply to
Andy Burns