Steel tube

Made some speaker stands using Speedfit push together square steel tubing some 4 years ago. Materials cost 115.50 plus VAT.

Just re-ordered the same to make another pair. 133.90. So about a 15% increase. Carriage costs exactly the same.

Thought the world was awash with steel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is probably priced in dollars and the pound is about 18% down on the dollar since this day four years ago.

Reply to
Nightjar

It is. Buy from your local scrappie.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But weren't we told leaving the EU would make imports cheaper?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Thursday :

We have not actually left yet !

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Have searched for "Speedfit push together square steel tubing" but only get hits for plumbing stuff. Do you have a link?

Reply to
Richard

All sounds a bit expensive to me. Nothing off the shelf that will suit? Some time ago I got some made out of wrought iron cheaper than that but the guy retired. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Try searching for Speed frame rather than fit:

Is this what you are looking for?

Terry Casey

Ah, this is Speedframe by name, one word instead of two!Might be interesting to compare the two?

564.html

or

Terry Casey

That seems to be similar to what the OP was talking about. Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

PS The owner of Speedfit, John Guest died in 2010 having started the company many moons ago and his sons are now selling the business.

I wonder who will buy it ?. Could be a competitor wanting to remove competition.

Reply to
Andrew

Back in the days of diy radios (1940's, 50's) my Grandfather installed his loudspeaker in a concrete pipe.

Grandma not amused.

Reply to
Andrew

Oh wow!

Dexion Speedframe: £272.78 inc VAT for a pack of 8 x 3.05m of tube, so a whopping £34.10 each!

Richardsons: 3m lengths, sold singly at £10.20 each including VAT.

I think I know which one I'd go for!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yup - sorry, brain fart.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Beauty with this stuff is if you cut it carefully you end up with a finished unit which looks good immediately.

Welding one up would need careful grinding of the welds, then painting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a supplementary, I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc in a bench stand to cut the tube last time. OK, but not perfect.

I've got an old B&Q chop saw. No longer used as I have a very nice Makita compound mitre sliding one. Would it be possible to find a mild steel cutting blade for that? Being so much larger than the angle grinder stand, easier to set the tube lengths and clamp in place, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look at the evolution range of blades - they do ones for steel (and other stuff).

Reply to
John Rumm

I've seen people convert them, usually the motor speed from a wood cutting saw turns out wrong for the metal cutting blade

Reply to
Andy Burns

Let's hope it isn't Speedframe. Not only would it be more expensive, but the whole square peg round hole thing would be a nightmare.

Reply to
Richard

That's what I was thinking. When I looked at your first link I couldn't see how the OP was getting the £134 for just some speaker stands.

Reply to
Richard