broken handrail on front steps

i have a raised ranch home with the typical concrete steps in front with the cast iron handrails. both of the handrails are a bit loose. yesterday one fell completely off. the bottom of the cast iron where it was mounted to the steps had rusted through and broke off and one f the mounts, cracked the corner of the step off when the rail fell.

here are some pics: the steps with the fallen handrail leaning against it:

the rusted bottom of one of the mounts on the railing:
the part where the corner of the step cracked off:
so the question is - can this be repaired? do i just need to get a new handrail ro should i replace the steps altogether? where would i even go for something like that? does home depot or Lowe's have that sort of stuff? i searched their sites and didn't come up with any results.

Reply to
blairdee2000

Unless your set on that iron railing, I would replace it with treated lumber. You can attach the uprights to the side of the steps by drilling and bolting then fabricating the railing as you go. You could also sink a couple of treated 4X4's one at the front and one at the back and use these as you uprights. Then once you have your handrail up you can stain it as you like. You could do this on both sides if you like and it would look great. As far as the corner I wouldn't worry about it if you go with wood. But if you go with the iron railing then I would just drill a new placement hole further back from the corner. I have never been able to repair the corner and having the repair NOT stand out, unless of course the steps are painted.

Hope that helps

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I have done wrought iron for 25 years. I used to be a steel erection contractor. Fergeddabout Lowe's, HD, et al. They use .049" tubing, and it will rust out in three years. And they might have a hard time matching your rise/run. And THEN, you will have to hire one of the derelicts Lowe's or HD uses to install same, at extra cost.

If you called me to your house, this is what I would do:

If there is enough concrete there to go in from the side, I would cut off the rusted ends, weld on extensions of .120" square tube, weld plates to the extensions, and Red Head the plates to the side of the steps. This will put your railings a little farther out, and if you really have to have them where they were, you will just have to offset the welded on pieces to put it back where it was. Do not let them weld the bottoms of the verticals shut, as this will trap water. A plastic cap with a small hole drilled in it works. Secure with contact cement.

Easiest, fastest, cheapest. In my day, I would charge $300 for labor, materials, paint, and give you a 100% guarantee for five years. Done right by a licensed contractor.

I'd be there by 8AM, and be off in time for lunch.

If you know a welder, call him/her/it. If not, call a local welding shop and see if they want to do it.

To cover up the holes left by the broken off pieces, cut/chisel/hammer the stubs below the surface of the concrete and fill with PourStone. You could even add a little aggregate on top to match your present steps, and they would be hardly noticeable.

I just made a pair this morning almost exactly like yours for my cabin. I used the outside plates to mount them directly on the outsides of the 4x10 wood stringers. Get one rail set, get out a level, and shoot the other one. Batta bing. Quick, easy, looks good for a long time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That looks like a "better than BORG quality" handrail you have there. Worth repairing if you can find someone to do it. Steve's advice about going to the side mount is good advice.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt