painting slightly rust steel tube

I have some inch square steel tube that I'm using to replace a front rail on a kitchen unit in front of a hob (not space for original rail). I've cleaned it with a wire brush in the drill to slightly shiney, but there is some minor pitted surface rust remaining (which seems to look black rather than orange).

I want a quick and cheap method to help protect it from future rust. Converting the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can be expensive.

The rail will not be seen, since the front frame will hide it. However it would be nice if it ended up white, or next best, black. Any ideas ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

on a kitchen unit in front of a hob (not space for original rail).

there is some minor pitted surface rust remaining (which seems to look black rather than orange).

Converting the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can be expensive.

would be nice if it ended up white, or next best, black.

Something like this likely to be any good, then just paint with white hammerite ?

sm_jamieson

erting the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can = be expensive.

Chemical rust converter. Use strong phosphoric acid, which I buy most cheaply from a cannabis-growing hydroponics shop. Improved versions of this are either gelled with cellulose, or improved by the addition of tannates (the opaque white liquids). However plain glacial phosphoric is pretty good on rust.

Then paint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , sm_jamieson wrote

Google phosphoric acid rust converter

Reply to
Alan

the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can be expensive.

Paint it with 30% phosphoric acid, let dry, rinse off, paint with primer, topcoat. I did a rusty trailer chassis last year with that, and there's not a trace of rust coming back so far, yet it's been outside in the weather all that time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Converting the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can be expensive.

And that, m'lud, is the case for the defence....

Reply to
newshound

the slight surface rust would be nice, but the stuff to do that can be expensive.

Peter Parry