Painting galvanised steel

I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Leave them to weather until the shine goes, then paint them.

Reply to
nightjar

I want to get on with my project now so leaving them to weather is not an appealing approach.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

In which case I would just get on with it. Mind you, I would not normally bother to paint galvanized.

I don't see much logic to using an etch-primer.

Reply to
newshound

Won't vinegar remove the galvanising zinc? Maybe that's the idea.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

You would need an awful lot of it.

Reply to
newshound

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

=8-2&tag=googhydr-21

Thanks - I had managed top miss that. So many products which do some sort o f cold galvanising so search times tend to find them.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Railings on a garden etc wall?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably hot dipped galvanised, like the 20 year old unpainted gate hinges I recently re-used after the gate had rotted and needed to be replaced. The electro-galvanized fixings had, however, rusted and I used stainless steel screws and coach bolts instead.

Reply to
nightjar

Have you considered powder coating?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You need an "etch primer" or the paint will just peel off. "Hammerite" does one.

Reply to
harry

You need an etch primer or the paint will just peel off. Hammerite does one.

Reply to
harry

=8-2&tag=googhydr-21

rt of cold galvanising so search times tend to find them.

Yes - but it doesn't work with my piecemeal approach to buying, fettling, a nd assembling the project. If I make another one (and therefore know the pa rts I'll need) that will be an option.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I know that is one of the standard approaches. I have some on order. But I'd like to do some bits already.

I've also read of some people doing the vinegar thing regardless that they are going down one of the proper painting approaches.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Well, do they have holes made in them or sharp edges. Myself before labelling on paint I'd do those suspect areas with zinc primer or similar, as once rust starts..... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Ammonia, 1:10 solution, apply with a light rub using sandpaper/scotchbrite pad, a stiff brush where sandpaper won't reach.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer