WTB: Galvanised/Galvanized steel tube

....actually to make a Verandah handrail.

I have in mind the kind of stuff which in the past was used for heating systems (at least in my school in the 1960's) but that no longer seems to be available through plumbers merchants.

I have found tube for compressed air distribution (eg

seems to be readily available. Is this the same stuff? Basically I don't want it to bend if leaned on, over a 1.5 metre-ish span. I'm confident that pipe at least 1" diameter with wall thickness over 1/8" will cut the mustard.

Any other suggestions on making strong tubular/cylindrical handrails appreciated.

David

Reply to
Vortex

Key Industrial Equipment sell galvanised tube and fittings, in a variety of sizes, specifically for making handrails.

> Stores, Partitioning and sheds

BTW where used to prevent falls, Health and Safety guidelines are for there to be two horizontal rails - the upper at least 1.1m high with the lower at half that height - and a kick board, to stop things being kicked over the edge. I usually simply fill the lower half with board or mesh.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Kee Klamp have all the clamps and joints required and details of specifications for suitable pipe.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Vortex" contains these words:

Personally I'd make it out of 40mm box and weld it. Do it in sections that can be bolted together, sling it all on the trailer and take it to the galvanisers.

Reply to
Guy King

50 quid minimum order for hot-dip. Not bad if you're doing a lot, but it's expensive for small jobs and one-offs.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just the ticket. Asking for a quote today.

Thanks!

David

Reply to
Vortex

The message from Andy Dingley contains these words:

Last time I did it they just slung it in with a load of other stuff and I gave 'em a tenner.

Reply to
Guy King

see also powder coating, etc...

Reply to
.

Try

they are based in Reading UK but have many outlets

Reply to
Crendonman