Stairwell Ladders

SWMBO has decided that our hall, stairs and landing are going to be wallpapered. Her number one volunteer has been called into service. Not too bothered because I've done these before and know the pitfalls etc.

However I have a bit of a problem getting to the big drop over the stairs in this house. Looks like a precarious bit of ladder work. I'm thinking about hiring one of these combination ladders for this job:

used one of these ladders for a stairwell and care to comment? Alternative suggestions perhaps?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Whatever ladder you use, ensure you use boards to walk on. Much safer than balancing on the rungs.

I hope the following picture makes sense!

+------------------ | |

--------+ __/\______________ < boards / \ +--------- /----\ +-+ / step \ +-+ / ladder \+-+

-----------+

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thirty-odd years ago I bought a Mill's Bantam scaffolding tower. This included frames for use in a stairwell. I suspect that Mill's are no longer in business (no Google) but someone else may know better.

You might ask some of your local equipment hire companies, look in Yellow Pages under Scaffolding Sales & Hire.

Reply to
John Flax

I was in Wickes this morning, and noticed a combination ladder eminently suitable for stairwell decorating; looked far better than the Screwfix version and I'd have bought it there and then had I not done my own stairwell earlier this year. It included a horizontal platform; just what you need, and was well under 100 quid.

HTH David

Reply to
David

If this is the one that can be a platform, a stepladder or a short extension ladder then I used one to do our stairs/landing a year or two back. Worked very well. I seem to remember it being about 80 quid.

Another advantage is that in step ladder mode it has no strut joining the 2 legs (if you see what I mean). This was handy when I needed it to stradle a hedge!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Funny you should say that. I popped into Homebase a little earlier to pick something up, and took a walk round the ladder section. Lo and behold, a couple of likely looking ladders for well under £100.

I think Screwfix may have missed the boat on this one. 7 days delivery too I noticed.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP