removing cork tiles - is there an easy(er) way?

I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

One of these will help a bit, but it still ain't very easy:

Lobster

No easy way. Just get one of those long handled scrapers and get to it. :((

Reply to
EricP

Cheers - a long handled scraper should make for an easier life anyway. Last time I did it on my hands and knees, which didn't do my knees or back much good...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

You could try burning/melting them? Might make a bit of mess of the room though.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A similar thread came up about a week ago. Someone suggested a steam iron on full melted the glue and made it much easier to lift them. I thought I wall paper steam might do a similar job. It's worth a shot I think.

Reply to
doozer

I don't think cork melts, unless I'm misreading the post? And yeah, burning them would make quite a mess... Thanks for the ideas though; the fire option might be more tempting after the first couple of hours work ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Cheers Doozer, might give the iron a try...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I think it'd be a sure-fire way to knacker your steam iron or cover it in white-shirt-unfriendly gunk, so would be well worth hiring a wallpaper stripper to try this out!

Reply to
RichardS

You could rent one of these:

w/e we put a 175kg steel beam in the wall which took 5 blokes and several pairs of brown trousers so now I'm into hiring absolutely everything that could possibly help with anything.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Like the look of that big scraper thing :D not sure if I'd rather pay the 50 quid or put in the elbow grease, though - will see how it goes....

Jon

Reply to
Jon

If steam works a good steam cleaner would be better than either of the above, I think.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It will do much more than help the knees and back; it transforms the scraping operation from a 'single-wrist' job to a 'two-arm' job - it's a whole new ball game. Similar benefit to simply adding a broom handle to a paint roller!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for all the suggestions...now I just have to get round to doing the work...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

What's worse is that you reminded me of a few tiles on our doom box which have been lifting for years but won't leap off voluntarily.

Still, it will keep me off the streets ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Andy

anyway.

I had the same problem, but with those old thick vinyl tiles. I used a carpet bolster and club hammer. This may be somewhat overkill for cork ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy