removing cork tiles - is there an easy(er) way?

I've got 2 cork floors which need removing. Last time I removed cork tiles by peeling/prying them off with a scraper (using a hammer for additional force) - this took ages and was v hard work... If anyone
knows an easier way of doing this, I'd be VERY grateful.
Thanks,
Jon
Jon wrote:

One of these will help a bit, but it still ain't very easy: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id !102&ts#339
David
like a waterfall and said:

No easy way. Just get one of those long handled scrapers and get to it. :((
Cheers - a long handled scraper should make for an easier life anyway. Last time I did it on my hands and knees, which didn't do my knees or back much good...
Jon
Jon wrote:

It will do much more than help the knees and back; it transforms the scraping operation from a 'single-wrist' job to a 'two-arm' job - it's a whole new ball game. Similar benefit to simply adding a broom handle to a paint roller!
David
Thanks for all the suggestions...now I just have to get round to doing the work...
Jon

What's worse is that you reminded me of a few tiles on our doom box which have been lifting for years but won't leap off voluntarily.
Still, it will keep me off the streets ...
Mary

Jon wrote:

anyway.
I had the same problem, but with those old thick vinyl tiles. I used a carpet bolster and club hammer. This may be somewhat overkill for cork ;-)
Cheers,
Paul.

You could try burning/melting them? Might make a bit of mess of the room though.
Tom
I don't think cork melts, unless I'm misreading the post? And yeah, burning them would make quite a mess... Thanks for the ideas though; the fire option might be more tempting after the first couple of hours work ;)
Jon
Cheers Doozer, might give the iron a try...
Jon
Jon wrote:

A similar thread came up about a week ago. Someone suggested a steam iron on full melted the glue and made it much easier to lift them. I thought I wall paper steam might do a similar job. It's worth a shot I think.

I think it'd be a sure-fire way to knacker your steam iron or cover it in white-shirt-unfriendly gunk, so would be well worth hiring a wallpaper stripper to try this out!
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

If steam works a good steam cleaner would be better than either of the above, I think.
Mary

You could rent one of these:
http://www.speedyhire.co.uk/products/show-category.cfm?cat46&cfidT2813&cftoken#538422
Last w/e we put a 175kg steel beam in the wall which took 5 blokes and several pairs of brown trousers so now I'm into hiring absolutely everything that could possibly help with anything.
Alistair
Like the look of that big scraper thing :D not sure if I'd rather pay the 50 quid or put in the elbow grease, though - will see how it goes....
Jon

http://www.hirecentres.com/index.php?main=product&id 6&cat_id
!!!