Stabiliser solution from diluted wood glue?

Has anyone tried using diluted white wood glue as a stabiliser solution for powdery old mortar? When I am drilling to install wall plugs in an old brick wall built with lime mortar, and hit a joint, if I don;t have the option of drilling in a diferent place, I usually scrape away a lot of the loose mortar in the joint I've hit, blow all the dust out thenand squirt in some stabilizer solution. Then when it's dry, I pack the hole with polyfilla or cement mortar and later drill a proper small hole to take the plug. In the absexence of proprietory stabiliser solution, I often wonder if diluted white wood glue would work OK. Has anyone tried that?

Luke

Reply to
Luke

What - as in PVA - nah - it would never work. Try rapid araldite.

Don't feed the trolls.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

I won't feed you then. Hoping for input from non-trolls. I'm stuck here miles from anywhere with some bookshelves to put up.

Luke

Reply to
Luke

Haven't tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I sometimes stick the plug in at the same time as the filler, so there's less chance of dislodging anything by drilling later.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think Mr Gibson is somewhat surprised that, since dilute PVA ( wood glue ) is the de facto diy choice for stabilising powdery surfaces etc, that you are somewhat 'behind the curve' so to speak! Good for you though, you've come to the right conclusion independently.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

PS. In retrospect, I'm not sure if white wood glue and PVA are the same thing. Are they? It's white wood glue that I always have on hand, so that's the stuff I'm asking about.

Thanks

Reply to
Luke

I think I tried that once and then found that the plug couldn't expant enough to take the screw... Anyone else done that?

Luke

Reply to
Luke

I think I'd heard of PVA solution being used for similar things, but wasn't sure if white wood glue was the same thing as PVA.

Thanks for clarifying.

Luke

Reply to
Luke

If you mean PVA wood glue, then yes, it's ideal. But you might find buying a 5 litre container of PVA a cheaper solution. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

any water based glue will do that, so yes wood glues. Usually PVA is the glue of choice. Kids glue works too, almost anything.

NT

Reply to
bigcat