Sprung wiring connectors on sockets

If you don't possess simple tools like a suitable screwdriver, how are you going to access that light fitting? Or JB, come to that?

I've never had a problem with a screw connection coming loose. Although I have seen it on so called pro installations.

If you really don't know how to tighten a screw, you'd likely best not fiddle with mains electrics either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave; always appreciate your cheery input! ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

the rest of us have all come across loose screws. I bet Dave has one somewhere.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can see the benefit for speedy assembly. But can't for the life of me see why it would give a better connection than a properly tightened screw. But do understand many seem incapable of doing this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Copper under screw terminals seems to need (Infrequent) tightening to remain a good connection; a spring terminal will take up the "slack" automatically ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I rewired this house when I bought it. Over 40 years ago. I've not had a problem with any terminal screws coming loose. Despite it having a much more complicated electrical system than most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know because

a) you've checked them, or

b) it hasn't caught fire so far :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Your sample of one, while welcome, wd be more useful if accompanied by information about e.g. occupancy (number, ages and activities - eg heavy metal fans? ) and nearby traffic (volume? buses? HGVs?).

Reply to
Robin

I've repaired plenty of pro installations where the problem was caused by loose screws. Not seen a fire due to this - that's why you use a backbox.

Usual symptoms are socket(s) etc just stopping working.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I mention it as one example. I've wired loads of houses in the past, and never had a call back due to loose screws.

Now tell us your experience of how you can't tighten a screw properly so need something easier?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

his posts indicate he has had a problem with at least one screw coming loose. Probably not electrical or terminal though.

Reply to
tabbypurr

As someone who has replaced two ceiling shower switches where the plastic was showing signs of darkening, I would say Dave has been extremely fortunate.

Reply to
Fredxx

but when you're in a timber barn and a surface socket is too hot to touch?

Reply to
charles

Sometimes it can take years for a screw connection to become loose.

This is not about tightening screws, it is about thermal cycling and a joint becoming loose. One example publication:

In your line you must have heard of dry joints, would you say that is the fault of the person doing the soldering (or the machine in terms of flow soldering or similar) or a feature of thermally induced fractures?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'd be rather more worried about the CU is you don't know how to use a screw. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or the log burner !

Reply to