Sprung Pole

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a sprung loaded pole and was wondering if anyone could think of something from the shelves which I may be able to use/adapt.

What I'm thinking of is something around 15mm in diameter, with a compressed length of about a metre and an uncompressed length of about

1.5 metres.

So far I've seen sprung loaded poles for walking (bit expensive and not as much movement as I need), and also horse drawn carriages which apparently have sprung poles but I can't work out how big these are at the moment.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Reply to
bradsalmon

You might be able to adapt the poles used to hold shower curtains up between to parallel walls. They may not be squashy enought - I'm not sure. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

A metal shower curtain pole? Saw one in a shed last year that sounds like the basis of your need.

Reply to
EricP

I'm intrigued as to what its for?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The shower curtain pole was my first thought too, but how about my daughter's pogo stick? although it doesn't have as big a differential as 1->1.5m, or she'd be bouncing over the roof. What's the application?

David

(sorry you can't have her *actual* pogo stick btw!)

Reply to
Lobster

What you going to use it for ...? Tou can get extending poles no problem but most are the type you pull out and turn to lock like decorators roller poles or poles for putting between floor and ceiling to hold photographic backgrounds . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks for the ideas.

The only shower rails I've found so far have been telescopic rather than sprung loaded and I don't think these would hold themselves in place without further fixings (no fixings is basically the aim).

Was there ever a version of those bead things that people put in exterior doorways to keep insects out the house, which were sprung loaded for convenience?

Brad

Reply to
bradsalmon

Well they're certainly readily available: I have a fixing-less, sprung shower rail myself (can't remember where I bought it, but most likely B&Q or somewhere similar.

david

Reply to
Lobster

Me too, B&Q