Truncated 33kV power line? Doesn't go anywhere?

Here we see a path leading up to an old railway line, now a tarmacked cycle/walking/horse path. Note the 33kV power line. I went for a walk to the East (right of the picture), and after about a 25 minute walk the power line came to an end. A pole similar to the one in the link, but the wires just stopped, no transformer, no underground wire coming off it. Is this something they half built? Did it supply a farm that was closed down?

2/3rds of the way along, it does go underground for a very short distance (about 5 or 10 metres), presumably to keep it from touching another set of similar lines running at right angles. But as far as I can see, the wire doesn't go anywhere, just links the two poles underground. One of those poles is labelled "Castlebridge No.2 33kV feeder", which I can't find any information about. Is there a detailed map of these things anywhere?
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't know about a map, but googling for Castlebridge 33kW shows a spreadsheet at

Capacity Market Register 2021-22 (T-4) at

1 CAS001 T-4 Capacity Auction 2021 Gas Generation Castlebridge Limited Gas Generation Castlebridge 1 01778300888 snipped-for-privacy@larkpower.co.uk Distribution Non CMRS New Build Generating CMU Gas OCGT and Reciprocating Engines (Fuel Type - Gas) Not Prequalified Gas reciprocating engines used for power generation, with associated infrastructure. Land at Castlebridge Business Park, Alloa, FK10 3PZ NS938925 Deferred

Which may or may not be related to

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Damn, I think I included the word "feeder" and got nowhere.

I've driven past the entrance to that (in fact also today, on the way to the walk I mentioned above), it's had the land on sale for years. And that is indeed approximately where the line stops.

That power line doesn't look big enough to take power from a power station though, perhaps to feed the business park? How much power goes along those lines? I know it's 33kV 3 phase, but I don't know what the current is. All I can say is the underground part went through an approximately 3 inch diameter armoured cable, and the individual conductors look about half an inch thick (judging by a pigeon sat on one! I didn't let my parrot fly up to have a look incase it was live! Yes I was actually taking my parrot for a walk - on my shoulder, with a lead, amusing everyone else out walking!)

Whoops! Everyone trying to cash in on the renewable nonsense.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Gowanhill as in

?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, I needed a domain name quickly and looked out of the window.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The "connection capacity" in the spreadsheet says 29 MW.

A quick online calculor for 3-phase with a line-line V of 33kW give about 500 amps.

Uninsulated conductors in open air can run hot.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But it's not a real domain name.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It was when I registered it; I let it lapse. Googlegrousp hasn't noticed yet

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You mean kV.

I guessed about that, as a limit, but on a long run a lot of power would be lost.

Yes but they lose a lot of energy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Would they even check? You probably just need it to verify an email address when you sign up. Unless you need to be contacted by email for some reason, I doubt it'll matter. Just don't lose your password etc :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's why the long runs are done with 330KV and 500KV etc.

Reply to
Jac Brown