Spring Washer

Was putting together some metal furniture and I had to use metal spring washers as well as normal washers with bolts

Anyone care to explain what they do

mo

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "mo" contains these words:

Two things. Firstly they put a slight load on the nut which makes it less likely to come undone. Secondly there's a small ratchet action - the cut edge of the washer scrapes up a ridge on the back of the nut and this helps stop it coming undone.

The ratchet effect is a lot better with proper star-washers.

's an article about lockwashers here...

Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mo" saying something like:

digs into the bolt head, supposedly stopping it from loosening off. There are better solutions now, but the humble split washer is pretty good for most applications.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon