Split fingernail.

I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...) and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only

4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I've always used superglue on a split nail and keep the nail as short as possible until it has all grown out - but dunno if it will work for you.

Reply to
Bev

Have a read of this:

It contains hints and tips for dealing with split fingernails.

Note that the cure might involve changes of diet and possibly of lifestyle, and also that the condition might indicate more serious issues (probably not for a DIYer, though, because the problem most likely arises through hard use and the unfortunate ageing process).

Clearing up the condition may take a considerable time, e.g. a year, and you might need to undertake such things as moisturising your nails after a shower or hand wash.

The author is selling products on this site, but there's nothing to stop you using the suggested generic types of treatment.

Reply to
Spike

Bev presented the following explanation :

My suggestion is similar...

Blob of 10 minute Araldite, allow to set then file smooth.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

One oft suggested option is a blob of superglue. Some suggest a fibreglass matt style repair using a bit of "fabric" cut from a (unused) teabag. So apply a small blob of glue and spread around the nail, apply patch and tamp down, then apply glue again over the top. That should stop the split propagating. You then need wait for it to grow out.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nail infections cause such splits.

Reply to
gareth evans

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the leading edge.

Reply to
jon

I've done something similar - spread on clear, matte nail varnish, tear off a bit of single ply tissue (tear, don't cut, it blends in better), press into place, let set, then add another thin coat of nail varnish. Make sure to bring the varnish over the tip of the nail. This also worked well when I damaged the base of the nail and it grew out with a hole, but I needed to build up a few layers for that. And definitely keep that nail as short as possible.

Reply to
S Viemeister

There is a super tough clear nail varnish with nylon fibres in that can be applied to repair a badly split nail. Try Boots or similar.

Reply to
Martin Brown

So does hammer rash...

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've tried bandages, adhesive tape, a rubber thimble - and five years later it is still there. Just applied some Milliput !

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I had a look; maybe the problem is because back in February I was doing a lot of cleaning of things with white spirit, and wasn't being extremely careful (e.g. wearing gloves). So I'll look more into oily things, e.g. lanolin.

Unfortunately there are worrying errors there though...

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Tear not cut. Are you an expert in the use of ingrain paper, e.g. on ceilings? :)

I'll re-read some suggestions. It's a PITA.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I had thought of running a file across so that it makes an extra flexible area (stopping before going right through....!).

No, not a rasp or bastard. Dead smooth, or nail!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I guess you?re probably best using the ?traditional? teabag that contains plastic than the new eco-friendly ones?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Erm wood and wool are two entirely different things.

Mind you I have never heard of wool alcohol typo and the poster is correct or something that exists and I have just not heard of it.

Reply to
soup

Admit it Chris it was for your nails, we won't judge, much. ;O)

Reply to
soup

Oh, I should hAVE gone to Specsavers. Thank you for helping with that!

Neither have I, BTW. Hence my errer.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Seems wooL alcohols do exist.

News to me, but there you go you learn something everyday.

Reply to
soup

One way is to dry out a wetwipe then superglue a piece of it to the nail to hold it together while it grows out.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright