Spinning rust

<snip>

Hmm, I still think the potential yield of anything of value to them would be far less than hassling 100 people / hour into handling over their details over the phone (or I guess they wouldn't be doing it)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Win10 will run in 1G quite well. Some applications might not. I expect the same apps wont run in XP in 1G either.

Reply to
dennis

Not as well as it might on say 2 or 4G. ;-)

Quite.

But they might. Whilst W10 might be more efficient (on the same hardware) than XP, the chances are XP would run more stuff (where available) in the same RAM than on W10? 64MB v 1GB system minimums for starters?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have a 13 year old Acer laptop which originally ran XP till I upgraded it to 7/32. It had a 60GB IDE HDD and gradually got so sluggish it took 3 minutes to boot from cold to fully working, so I up graded it to SSD using:

IDE to mSATA adapter eBay #123740552019 @ £4.10 and

YUCUN MSATA III 120GB Internal Solid State Drive SSD @ £21.99 via Amazon.

I did a clean install of Win 7 and it now boots in 37 seconds! I'm very pleased with the result.

Reply to
TOJ

Slow. My linux is up at the login prompt in about 8 on this machine and

20 on the lappy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Yeah, but that's like comparing the usefulness of a sports bike to an estate car (for 'most people').

It's all very well starting quickly if it can do all you need once it has.

This old XP box (Mac Mini) takes *ages* to boot but I generally only do it once per day and it can do loads more (and better) than my Linux box, once it has.

eg, Pan != Agent, ? != Irfanview (and no, trying to run Windows apps in a VM isn't the solution).

It's good but it's not Carlsberg. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yebbut, compared with 3 minutes it's fast!

Reply to
TOJ

God his lappy is slow, mine boots win10 in about 6 seconds to login. Of course its not an IDE disk or a processor running at ~1GHz.

A SSD running over IDE is not going to be quick at starting anything. At best it will only do 133MB/s compared to the 1600MB/s i get from my NVME drive or even the 500MB/s I get from the other SATA drive.

It can do what he wants including running his windows he uses.

Reply to
dennis

;-)

I moved daughters W7 onto an SSD and it improved boot times considerably.

No, hers is an i5 Tosh Lappy. ;-)

No, but an SSD might still be quickER than the old conventional hard drive.

I like it when you get to a combination of hardware, RAM, HDD and CPU where no one thing seems to be a bottleneck. ;-)>

Hehe.

It's like me saying my old 'Rover' (218SD) was good when it was really a Honda Concerto with a Peugeot engine. ;-)

One thing that increased the popularity of Apple Macs was when they went Intel and could also run Windows natively (and my Mac Mini is the only Mac I've ever used for more than just playing for that reason). I know quite a few Techs who use them because of those 'Windows only' tools and interfaces they really must have.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My wife's computer takes about 30 seconds to boot. We don't care because it tends to be rebooted about once a year.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tie to string and use it to fish for dropped bits!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Predating Uncle Clive and his tape loop by a few years, I started work on a 22 channel cable TV system at the London Stock Exchange in late 1969.

The system, which covered all the brokers and jobbers in the square mile, displayed live market prices and was entirely digital, except for the TV distribution, of course.

The 'secret' was a large magnetic drum in a housing ~50cm in diameter which rotated at the TV field frequency of 50rpm. It was made by Sperry who called it a DigiTV.

I don't know how many individual tracks there were but the TV service needed 22, of course, plus a number for the intput terminals located at intervals around the Market Floor, at least 2 in the Company Announcements office and monitors in the computer room, so quite a few!

It was, of course, completely separate from the magnetic core store used by the Ferranti Argus computer that drove it and the program was, of course, loaded from punched paper tape.

Reply to
Terry Casey

They are also surprisingly effective for finding the clout nails fixing plasterboard and steel conduit buried in plaster.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

In message snipped-for-privacy@calligramme.charmers, Jon Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes

They are so powerful that reminders stuck to the fridge could become permanent.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

They are also good fun when you're near someone with genital piercings.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I wrote my Univac asembler code onto coding sheets and desk-checked the card deck after it had been punched.

Reply to
Andrew

I used a porta-punch to make my own cards. That was when I was in primary school learning Fortran.

They were posted to imperial college and run on a CDC computer and the printout and cards were returned.

It was a luxury when a local firm with an IBM360 (I think) let us use coding sheets and punched the cards for us.

Reply to
dennis