Specification for a domestic extension

We've just gained Planning Permission for an extension to our house :-)

Our architect is about to start work on the Building Control submission. In parallel I'd like to start preparing the specifications so that I can go out to some local builders for a quote.

I'm not experienced in the building game, but as a Project Manager I appreciate the value of a good specification when agreeing a price and monitoring the build process.

I'm looking for a good basic spec that I can tailor, to ensure that all the bases are covered and ensure I use the right terminology.

After a bit of Googling I found the following publication:

looks like it may be useful but at =A350 it's a bit pricey for a blind put that may not be of any use.

Has anyone used this or know any other good sources of information? I'm thinking of Builders Contracts, Payment schedules etc

Thanks Marc

Reply to
marc

You would just be duplicating the work you are paying your architect to do, and storing up problems for later when the builders complain that they quoted against your spec but are expected to work to the architect's spec, or when the BCO complains that the builders built to your spec but the plans were approved to your architect's spec.

Once you have your architect's plans agreed then you can add notes about your choice of fittings etc, then go to tendering.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try this book - it will tell you all you need to know.

libraries hold copies - so you can probably borrow one rather than having to buy it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I found this book very useful:

Mark