Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

Yes I was only suggesting releasing the initial tightness in the thread while the contact between the wheel and the road prevents the wheel rotating uselessly which would stop you being able to get any force on the nuts at all. If you have an assistant to keep their foot on the footbrake then better all round to raise the wheel even before starting, but all the "best" punctures occur when you're on your own :-( I take your point, though, about wanting to avoid the wheel pressing against the nuts or bolt heads due to the weight on it.

It all depends critically on the hub being designed with a lip that can take the weight of the wheel as you are rotating it until the holes line up. Without a lip, it it virtually impossible to line up the wheel holes and the bolt holes - but I've never seen a car like that: there has always been a lip that the wheel can sit on as it is rotated.

With studs protruding from the hub, you have to get the orientation of the wheel perfectly aligned with the studs before you can slot one then the next into the holes on the wheel. But having got one stud on, that takes the weight and allows you a bit of fine movement when lining up the next one - and when two are lined up, they are all lined up.

One other advantage with bolts (the modern way) is that they are bigger and less likely to loose in the dark if you've put them carefully in the upturned hub-cap... and then accidentally kicked it, spreading the nuts all over the place in the dark. Been there, done that - and it was when I really

*needed* to change the wheel as fast as possible because there was a crowd of threatening, menacing drunks gathering to watch, and it would have only taken some trivial "offence" to spark off a fight, with me at the centre of it. I've never changed a wheel so fast in my life. That was one occasion when I only tightened the nuts finger tight so I could scarper as fast as possible, and then inspect things and finish off the job when I was out of harm's way.

The other occasion when I thought I was going to get beaten up was when I was changing a red-hot tyre (it had gone flat and started to melt, but I hadn't noticed any change in handling immediately) in the pitch black on a country lane with a narrow pavement between the road and a ditch. The flat was on the nearside so after I'd removed that wheel, I put it on the pavement behind me while I went to get the spare, ready to fit it. I heard a tuneless humming and rhythmic screech of metal on metal, and could see a glow-worm of light getting gradually closer. Suddenly it arrived: an elderly chap in a greatcoat, riding an ancient sit-up-and-beg bike, humming to himself - roaring drunk. He reeked of alcohol. Before I could shout a warning, his front wheel hit the flat tyre and he went arse over head into the ditch. "I'm going to get clobbered", I thought. I can't even bugger off, with only three wheels on the car. But when this sopping wet, weed-festooned "creature" clambered out of the ditch, he muttered "Night nice for it. Good evening to you, Sir." with the exaggerated politeness of the inebriated. And he picked up his bike and off he toddled. He'd had no warning of me because I hadn't got a torch, so I was having to work entirely by feel in the dark. I'm sure his bike wheel was running even more crookedly than it had before - but at least it still went round. I wonder what he remembered of the incident the following morning, and whether he remembered why he was sopping wet and covered in weeds and mud when he got home - and why his bike wheel was bent.

Reply to
NY

It's the give up at the first sign of trouble/still breast fed generation.

I actually had a trolley jack when I got my puncture. The trouble is it does not fit under the car with a completely flat tyre. It took me 30 seconds to find something to drive onto to lift the car and fit the jack under it.

Reply to
ARW

It might be a Skoda thing.

Reply to
ARW

I'm told 'skoda' means 'it's a shame,' dunno if true. If it is they have finally done a good job of departing from their habit of making horrible economy cars. I had a ride in an Estelle once - far more unstable than their reputation ever warned me.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Esp alloys.

Reply to
bert

I remember when I was about 10 I sometimes used to get a lift to school in a Skoda 100

in the same shade of sickly green as the first photo the Wikipedia page. It always had a faint smell of puke because my friend's younger sister was carsick almost every time she went in it (she was fine in her dad's Rover 3500), and the smell lingered no matter how much they tried to clean it. The seats were very hard embossed plastic which left a corresponding pattern on my legs, even through my school trousers. The engine made a burbling sound and there seemed to be no relationship between engine speed and car speed - as if either the clutch was slipping very badly or else (which I know isn't true) it had a variable-ratio gearbox. Was it a two-stroke, as in the Wartburg and the Saab

96 - Wikipedia doesn't say. The difference between the metallic clang of the Skoda's doors closing and the quiet, restrained click of the Rover 3500 was very noticeable: I was always glad when it was my friend's dad in the Rover rather than his mum in the Skoda.

Skoda have certainly improved dramatically since those days of the 1970s. I have a friend who has a Skoda (no idea what model) which is as good inside and under the bonnet as most other cars - I presume that is the VW influence.

Reply to
NY

Why were old Skodas so horribly ugly?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would that have been the spare tyre you drove onto?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The trick is to not attempt to line up all the studs at once. You tilt the wheel slightly and align just one hole with a stud so you can hook it over just the tip of the stud. Unless you've jacked the car up by an enormous amount you can do this while the wheel is still on the ground so you're not struggling to support the weight of the wheel and trying to align it at the same time.Then you rotate the wheel around that stud until all the remaining holes line up and push the wheel back against the hub.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Yes. I've always found it far easier to put a wheel on studs than to put one with bolts on - even where the wheel is far larger and heavier than the bolted one.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My last car had bolts and heavy wheels. But in the tool kit a dummy long rod which screwed into a bolt hole. With a nice tapered end. Made fitting the wheel as easy as possible, as you could look round the back of the wheel and line it up with a hole.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not in this case. I had access to a brick. Someone 3 doors down is having an extension built so I raided the skip.

Reply to
ARW

My Citigo has steel wheels and the spare is the same size. It has the sticker but as I said above, the garage explained that it would be fine as the same spare is provided for all models in the range.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan