sourcing bullnose mouldings to use as stair nosings...

Hi there,

I made a new staircase for my house last year, using mdf window board for the treads, which has a bullnose moulding on the nosing. However, the kite treads on the turn I cut from a piece of mdf; I assumed I would be able to source a moulding to tap on the front to form a nosing. However, in advance of laying carpet (at last!), I have gone looking for 22mm bullnose mouldings and I'm not having much luck!

I do not have a router, so cannot make my own, but if I cannot buy a moulding off the shelf I may need to buy one and learn how to make my own!

If anyone can give me a steer, would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
tom

Cheaper to buy a router and pic your own style of bullnose and if done in MDF will be a doddle as MDF is sweet to cut with a router.

Plenty of bullnose sellers on google but your local timber yard will cut exactly what you want at their prices?

Reply to
George

I wouldn't fancy the chances of a nosing just tapped on the front lasting long -- that part of a step takes large forces.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks both - Andrew - point taken - not much option, intend to screw and glue. It was the first staircase I have built so bit of a learning exercise - I cut the kite treads out of one piece of mdf - in future would cut kite treads and (learn to) rout a profile on nosing...next time!

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
tom