sources of Y-piece Heatshrink sleeving?

Hi all as per the title - I'm looking for sources of Heatshrink sleeving in a 'Y' form, for splicing automotive cables. Preferably adhesive lined. Any pointers? I've tried the usual (to me)...

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
jkn

RS, Farnell, CPC possibly

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Never seen this. But if you just overlap plain adhesive lined it will work pretty well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , jkn writes

CPC have them but get ready for scary prices ie 6quid each for the cheapest.

CB11741 for example

If you're prepared for a marginally less elegant solution you can use oversize adhesive lined heatshrink for the splice and pinch the slack between the 2 output wires with a pair of pliers to form the Y. Pinch the slack on either side of the input wire to tidy that end.

I've used that technique many times and like result, looks neat and is sealed.

Reply to
fred

They're a pain. You have to slide them over the two legs from their loose ends. Then you have probems if the "joint" is actually a component of some sort, not just solder, and any bigger diameter than the cables.

Easy, as they're small diameter

  • Two (or three) thin glue-lined heatshrinks over the legs
  • Short ring of heatshrink over two of these.

  • Shrink. Pull the two legs into neat D-shapes, so that they form a solid oval section without gaps.

  • Bigger piece of glue-lined over the third leg (with or without a thin bit first, depending on diameter).

  • Shrink the lot. Make sure there are no gaps around the two legs.

Otherwise do it as a "tripod" not a "Y", which is dead easy with glue- lined.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just to add if I need to splice into a cable I don't cut the original but just open up the strands, run the extra one through them, twist and solder. So couldn't use a Y piece. Some self amalgamating tape to seal it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the pointers/suggestions. I'd looked at FEC et. al but couldn't find them. I was expecting them to be pricey, but as you say, six quid each, wow.

It's actually for a relative to whom I've already suggested self- amalgamated tape. I've used fred's idea of pinching the adhesive between the two legs before, but forgotten about it - thanks.

I think I understand Andy Dingley's method - similar to the way I have been known to join mains flex... it might be a bit too complicated but I'll pass it on with a diagram, I think.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn