Earth Sleeving

HI all. Is 4mm internal diameter earth sleeving ok for wall sockets?

Thanks. Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:42:38 -0700, Arthur 51 mused:

Depends on what type of wall sockets you have and how big your CPC cables are.

Reply to
Lurch

Any earth sleeving which fits over the earth wire is fine - it doesn't need to be a tight fit. 4mm is a good compromise size that can be used on most domestic cable sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Arthur 51 writes

It's for indication purposes only so as Dave says, any size that you can poke the wire down is fine.

Reply to
fred

What is the earth sleeving for? Purely saying "this is earth, not some live wire which has just lost the insulation", or more?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It not only indicates the earth but helps prevent the possibility of a short in a tightly packed backing box, etc. At one time it wasn't required so it's just one of those belt and braces thingies. But given the low cost not worth even debating the merits of. Think I'm only on my second 100 metre drum in some 40 odd years of DIY and part time pro wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

partly that, partly to stop it wandering around inside the backbox and touching a live terminal ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That, and more. It prevents problems when you fold the wires up into a back box. An uninsulated wire would be able to make contact with things it should. In the case of contact with the live it would trip a breaker or blow a fuse, but contact with the neutral could cause a number of more subtle problems like nuisance tripping of a RCD.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Clive George" saying something like:

Insulate and identify. I've seen some CUs and sockets which have had no earth sleeving on the earth conductors, which were wandering around. Dodgy practice, indeed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But used to conform to the then regs. You need to take more care with routing, but should be safe enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

partly that, partly to stop it wandering around inside the backbox and touching a live terminal ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Makes sense - ta (and ta to others too).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Shouldn't?

The electrical book in the school library said it was a Good Thing that the earth was uninsulated, as it gave the maximum opportunity for such a fault which would be cleared by the fuses (one on each pole, in a little wooden box)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yup... washed my hands earlier, now I can't do a thing with them!

Bet you dared not ask for more at lunch time either!

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Not when these were done. On one occasion the owner was standing at the foot of the ladders when I opened the cover and saw this. "I did that myself," he informed me proudly. "Looks like it, too," I replied.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Like this one a photographed recently? (still in use)

Graham.

Owain

Reply to
Owain