Source of pre-warboys signs

I am looking for house number signs and what I fancied was something in the style of pre-Warboys road signage. Particularly in the style of or .

I have drawn a blank on sourcing (and I am not even sure of the construction so as to search for that).

Searching for pre-warboys throws up some pictures of signs, some model railway stuff and not a lot else.

Can anyone help with either a source, a different term to search for or some details of construction so I might search for that?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

The committee was actually called the "Worboys Committee". Fixing that spelling mistake might help your search (assuming it isn't just a typo in the post).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

When we needed to match some 1930s road signs on a private estate, the only way we found to do it was to cut out the letters in hardboard, with slightly tapered edges, mount those on a plain sheet of hardboard and use that as a master to make a mould in glass reinforced plastic. We then made the signs in GPR from that mould, using black coloured gel coat for the letters and white gel coat for the background. That was about 30 years ago and, with the occasional repaint, the signs are still doing sterling service.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You can download the font from

sign writer should be able to add lines and boxes and cut vinyl.

If you want embossed/relief signs that will cost a lot more unless you diy it with hardboard

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you have a style and a font, I could laser cut the letters in 5-6mm acrylic...we do a fair bit of that for a sign maker.

as long as I can lay it out in Corel Draw.

Not sure what it would cost, certainly sub £100 tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange. My local paper had an article today about a local villiage who insisted on a reproduction sign.

I've scanned the article here;

don't mention the sign maker, but I guess an e-mail to the journalist might help; snipped-for-privacy@thekmgroup.co.uk

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

asking the question.

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

Typo in my post (although a few do come up from Warboys, so others have also made the error).

It seems to be one of the many gaps in the market that I am discovering as I do house renovations. The other notable one is the lack (as far as I can find) on anyone making repro terracotta gate post caps in the styles prevalent in Greater Manchester specifically (a common one is a sphere merged on top of a pyramid), but generally in any style. We got some from a reclamation yard, but due to time poverty were trying to get them new mail order from someone.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

The company in question is signpost-restoration.co.uk and a very helpful chap knows exactly what i am on about and is prepping a quote for me.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Peter Riocreux