SOT - Stupid car locks

yes

how did that answer the question?

Reply to
tim...

It presumably is safer to have it this way from the dog or baby locked in the car syndrome rather than the logical one you perceive. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A friend found himself stranded at a service in France thanks to interference from a nearby TETRA radio transmitter. As soon as the bike was put inside the breakdown van and screened from the transmitter the alarm bleeped the "clear code" and would then start. Still cost him the 90 euro recovery fee but he "just" caught the ferry. Dave

Reply to
Kellerman

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key? I think that's how my Renault is supposed to work, I'll try it when I remember. Its doors all lock from one console switch instead of individual door buttons, normally they lock automatically as the car speeds up, and opening any door from inside unlocks all the doors. This is while at rest, anyway. If that particular computer fails, all bets are off, except the passenger door will still lock and unlock with the key from outside.

Reply to
Davey

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Reply to
Davey

Nor my Citroen C4, but that's because it's an item they didn't bother to swap when making the RHD version.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably the same with mine, but the original comment was about the OP's car, not others.

Reply to
Davey

Oddly enough, when I had a Nissan, the only keyhole was in the passenger door, despite Nissans being built in the UK and Nissan being a Japanese company - Japan of course having RHD cars just like us!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Except the small detail that European Nissans aren't the same as Japanese Nissans, and share a LOT with Renault, who own Nissan who own Renault.

Reply to
Adrian

I think you miss the subtlety of my point.

Reply to
Adrian

the internal button refuses to lock any doors

tim

Reply to
tim...

Nor is it in Japanese cars (as in ones driving in Japan), which is why it is strange that they should choose that one

tim

Reply to
tim...

safer than what way?

my previous car with a single "hidden" key, unlocked, and locked all the doors together.

Indeed because that car had an alarm, that was more annoying because if you unlocked the car this way and someone opened one of the other (now unlocked doors) before the key was inserted into the ignition and turned to position I, the alarm would go off

tim

Reply to
tim...

Not all Japanese cars sold here are also sold in Japan. They're often European developed and built. In the case of Nissan, they share a lot of components with Renault.

Reply to
Adrian

Update:

Took the car in for its MOT today and quizzed the (second hand) dealer on this.

He played around for about 10 minutes trying different things until:

Fooled the central locking into thinking that all doors are closed by holding in the micro switch that registered a closed door on the door that you have open.

Lock the doors with the internal button.

Close remaining door.

Only works if the open door is a read door, not if it is a front door (we didn't try the hatch)

Now, I wonder if that's in the main-dealer manual?

tim

Reply to
tim...