SOT: solar panel installation

My brother has bought a new-build house and the solar panels are facing north. I am wondering if there is a technical or regulatory requirement for solar panels to face towards the sun, or if this is merely public perception. Could the developers say if the output meets the required standard orientation is unimportant? (Scotland)

Reply to
Scott

In England, Building Regulations Part L:

On-site generation of electricity L2. Where a system for on-site electricity generation is installed— (a) reasonable provision must be made to ensure that— (i) the system and its electrical output are appropriately sized for the site and available infrastructure; (ii) the system has effective controls; and (b) it must be commissioned by testing and adjusting as necessary to ensure that it produces the maximum electricity that is reasonable in the circumstances.

Arguably north-facing panels don't meet L2b.

I don't know my way around the regs in Scotland, but I'm not immediately seeing anything about solar in here:

it could be in another policy somewhere.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Lol, if they don't face the sun they will output very little. I'd be insisting the fitters return & do a functional install, if that's an option. Otherwise it's money down the toilet.

Reply to
Animal

North is the worst possible orientation for solar PV. West and East are a workable combination, as is due South.

Are there any good reasons why the panels are on the North side?

- they'll produce very little power....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote

Technical, yep. Works much better that way.

Nope.

There is no such standard.

They can say that, but they would be lying.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There are bifacial panels, that accept light from the back (a little bit) as well as from the front. If your fitters are idiots, the panels have you covered :-/ It was never clear, exactly how you would install a bifacial panel, to "get the most out of it". Maybe on a solar tracker platform (where the panels ride at an angle), there would be an opportunity for rear side ambient light to hit the panel.

As for the notion of an "optimal install", if that was written into a regulation, that would imply the usage of a solar tracker. And the building regs place an emphasis on the items being securely fastened to the roof, so they don't leave. That means the panels have to follow the profile of the roof. Using a tracker on a roof, is out of the question, from a wind and weather perspective.

Most normal installs, the panels are at a "generic best angle" and they leave it at that. Maybe you want your house roof, to be designed to an angle like this.

The reason that guy is smiling behind that mask, is the government just gave him the panels. There might be nine to eleven rows of those. And they are used to displace the usage of diesel fuel, which is normally used in those off-grid remote settlements. Now the diesel generators will only need to run at night. More than one settlement, has received panels.

This small install in Nunavut, isn't exactly on a steep angle.

This is an arena in Nunavut, and you can see the panels are on an angle. But... Hmmm. Maybe the boss said "Use yer imagination" ? I understand the sun can be up for 22 hours a day there, at one point in the year, but maybe they don't need the electricity then ? That's supposed to be

60kW worth of panels. But not all of them can be optimal at the same time.

"In Grise Fiord, Nunavut’s most northern community, has 24 hours of daylight in June and 24 hours of darkness in December. Southern Nunavut communities have more hours of light in the winter and more hours of dark in summer. For example, on December 21, the shortest day of the year, residents in the capital of Iqaluit will watch the sun rise around 9:30 a.m. and set around 1 p.m." <=== big solar output

I wonder if the wind blows there ? :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Especially as far north as Scotland.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In Scotland it would be better to fit hydro. All that rain running from the roof could drive a small turbine.

Reply to
alan_m

Were they retrofitted, or are there other houses in the same street also affected. I remember in the Canary Isles they facing all ways, often mixed, one supposes that was because its a lot closer to the Equator. Using that logic, one would think that the more north you go the more south facing they need to be. It would be interesting to see the output curve for different directions generally plotted against the point in the globe where they are.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

BTW, worth having a chat with the local authority planning department. I think a lot of building control inspections are outsourced to private companies these days, but the planning department should know something about building regs, who signed it off, and under what version of the regs.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Solar panels have been compulsory for new houses with gas boilers in Scotland for some years. There's a minimum power per square meter of the [usually] ground floor. I don't know how the power is calculated but I think it should have been included in the SAP calculation and that could be a starting point for your brother. (While it is part of the building regulations I expect building control would defer to the SAP assessor.)

Reply to
Robin

Could that just mean that the builders calculate the total area of solar power required and then just install them anywhere? A paper exercise.

Reply to
alan_m

Pass.

Reply to
Robin

Pass.

Reply to
Robin

assumed in the calculations for "notional" buildings to arrive at the minimum standard that must be achieved. So there's scope for less PV if more is done one something else - eg insulation.

Reply to
Robin

"Latitude

When it comes to latitude, the further north you are, the bigger the fall in energy production when you turn away from south. All else equal, solar panels in Seattle, WA will see a much bigger output drop in non-south alignment than a home in Miami, FL."

Maybe what happened was a "compass fail" :-)

I see one install here, is fairly non-committal. In this picture, it's hard to tell where North is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I somehow doubt that.

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

That was a joke, Joyce.

He does that quite a bit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have spoken to my brother. I think his view is that the fact they are pointing the wrong way (when there is a south facing roof available) is a sufficient argument. Personally, I would be looking for rules or guidance to support the argument.

Reply to
Scott

As I understand it, homeopathic solar panels are often fitted to new builds to improve the property’s energy rating (on paper) without having to do anything useful like putting in serious amounts of insulation in.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+