How can I transfer ownership of a Windows PC?

I have a desktop PC with Windows 10 installed. The software was activated online by me and was registered in my name. I'd like to give the computer to another member of my family: I've already removed everything but the operating system but is there a way of replacing my ownership (and password) with hers?

I don't have the original Windows disc so I can't simply wipe everything and start again. Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You can easily download a windows install ISO. You don't need any codes or passwords, as windows will recognise the PC hardware. I think I would take the opportunity to wipe the disc and do a clean install.

Reply to
GB

You don't need to actually burn a DVD from the ISO, just run the Media Creation Tool

Yes, provided it's activated now, wiping it will allow it to re-activate without any codes etc, then the new owner can set their own credentials ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Agreed. Simplest is to use a USB stick.

Bert will need to set the boot order in the BIOS so the PC boots from the USB stick, then, when finished installing, set it back again.

Reply to
GB

Is this an official thing? I'll look on the Microsoft website.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's great, thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Making a stick does allow re-running it again, in case something goes wrong, but there's not even any need to make a stick, you can just download and run the tool ...

download and run avoids that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't need to do this with my HP AIO m/c. I just plugged the USB drive into one of the USB3 ports and windows simply found it (with an unformatted SSD) and proceeded to install.

If it is the Home version M$soft will nag you into creating a microsoft account with a OneDrive setup and everything you install will use the OneDrive account for data storage (incl temp files, like the lock file used by Adobe Lightroom).

Reply to
Andrew

Yes. Microsoft makes downloads of Windows easily available and if the PC has had Windows activated before, the same version should automatically activate, as Microsoft's servers will recognise it.

Always a good idea from time to time, but much less necessary than it used to be.

Reply to
SteveW

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts and add a new user as an administrator. Make sure it works and then maybe delete your own account.

Reply to
Michael Chare

And if you don't want to sell your soul to Micro$oft you can bypass the account creation by ensuring that you are disconnected from the internet before starting the install. When you get to the stage for creating an account it will nag you into connecting but if you don't connect it will eventually bring up an "I don't have internet" link for you to click.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I'm sure this is possible unless the ownership also runs to played for services of some kind.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes as uninstalling some software can corrupt the registry, also its more secure if all personal data is removed. If its one with a physical drive, I'd suggest fitting an SSD as well as the speed increase is amazing over traditional spinning drives. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you download and run, that presumably doesn't wipe the disc and do a clean install?

Reply to
GB