SOT: Smeg kettle

I think unsliced bread is the best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
Scott

When I used to visit Japan and Korea regularly for work I spotted that all the bread on sale (not that much TBH) had smaller slices than UK bread.

So it's no surprise toasters made in Asia are designed for small slices.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I usually keep a warburtons toastie in the freezer

Reply to
Andy Burns

Really? I always assumed products were manufactured to the specifications of the customer set out in a contract.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks, so probably best to descale the kettle first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Of course, and once descaled it'll stay pretty clear for months.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Does the same principle apply to Japanese and Korean condoms? <g>

Reply to
Max Demian

I assume this isn't one of those pads heavily impregnated with pink detergent? On the other hand...

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Nah. straight stainless scourers. The key is that they have WAY more surface area for the scale to form on than the kettle.

But frankly now I discovered citric acid, it just as easy once a week to boil the kettle with a few percent of that added to the water and simply leave it full a couple of hours. Then rinse it and jobs a good 'un.

You only need a couple of teaspoons a week.

Citric acid is the most benevolent of the descalers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you'd need a lot more than a couple of teaspoons a week if you lived in the Chilterns. Those lumps of stainless steel 'wire wool' last more-or-less for ever (provided you scrunch them regularly them to dislodge the scale they accumulate). I must be still using the one I bought some 30 years ago (typical cost something like 99p, I think). The kettle(s) only need an essentially cosmetic descale ever few months.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I find that the minor sticking problem I get sometimes with my kettle lid is due to a slow scale build-up (from steam or the occasional drop of water, I assme), and a simple clean solves the problem (although the actual mechanism will fail eventually, I assume).

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

It'll take a long, long time to toast in there!

Reply to
mm0fmf

Those scrubs are usually made from 'free-cutting' st. st. As you know, there's no such thing - st. st. is tough. To help the cutter there's lead included. I haven't tried a recent one, but about 30 years ago I used one in the bog (must change my diet!) and it 'wrote' to the glaze. A check with high quality material didn't do that. Apparently there are cases in Usania of lead poisoning due to st. st. taps.

Reply to
PeterC

The spammers are really on the boil this week. No sooner had this thread started and I'm getting phiching emails about winning a Smeg kettle.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

30+ years ago I was working in Fiji and a consignment of condoms sent via Japanese aid had to be returned because there were size 'issues'.
Reply to
Andrew

So do I. Sainsburys wholemeal sliced loaves baked in store for

140p are quite nice and don't seem to have the more unpleasant additives that other brands have. There was a review of bread additives on tv not so long ago and this was mentioned.

The slices fit in my cheapo toaster quite nicely too, whereas the Tesco wholemeal seeded 800 gram loaves have slices that are too large.

Reply to
Andrew

smeeeeeg

Reply to