Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

the dyson of lights. A little added functionality, a little added zero.

Reply to
Animal

> Bill

Hi Bill,

It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled from the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?

That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...

My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading lamps and seemed happy with it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't see it, but I have an all-GG killfile apart from a whitelist (which I'll add Bill to)

As heavily advertised on daytime TV...

There are some good variable temperature/dimmable remote control LED floor lamps in the £20-40 bracket these days. Couldn't vouch for the CRI but some claim >95:

(no experience)

Maybe Serious is better, but not 10x better.

They also sell their bulbs for a fraction of the price of their lights and they appear to be standard MR16 or similar fittings. So probably possible to swap one into another brand of lamp:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

My late wife bought two Serious Readers lights, and she loved them. But they are very expensive, and the power supply is always powered up, which is unforgivable nowadays.

Reply to
Davey

For most people with reading difficulty it may be just a matter of improving the contrast on a printed page. For me I find that a LED lamp in the cool white/blue end of the spectrum achieves this. You can purchase floor standing LED lamps with flexible over the head arm for a tenth of the price of these lamps.

Reply to
alan_m

They massively overpriced, smoke and mirrors, sold to a gullible public.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

No argument here.

Reply to
Davey

Useful thread. I'm looking for a brighter reading lamp at the moment and this (or similar) might fit the bill. I'm not up for £400 spend at the moment, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Probably not value for money but I've got two of them, a floor-standing one, and a desktop one, that I've had for nearly 20 years. They are well made and they used to be made to order but I don't know if that is still the case.

When the integral PSU on the floor standing one packed up a few years ago I emailed them and they offeed a service whereby they collected it, changed the PSU for an external one, and converted the lamp to digital, ie changed the head to take an led bulb, and returned it within a week, which I accepted. The new LED bulb lasted about a year but I didn't go back to them because their prices for bulbs are certainly not good value for money. I found a similar item, it needs a heatsink built into the base, for about a third of the price that has now been in use for several years. My led has better light output than theres, too.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Ah come on dyson are pricery starting at £500 but have the advantage of simulation of sun rise and fall times I read somewhere :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Value for money - no. For the same functionality you can buy the high CR

4000K LED for less than a fiver, and the optics to concentrate the beam for another fiver. Depends if you feel the need. Interesting premises with graveyard attached .....
Andy Bennett