SOT: moving pst file

I have now installed a second solid state drive (thanks to all who offered advice). I would now like to move the Outlook (pst) files.

My reason is that the old SSD is nearly full and the new SSD is nearly empty.

There seems to be contradictory advice on the Internet how to do this, ranging from just moving the file and allowing Outlook to find it again to making the move via the control panel (meaning making the adjustments to the path there). It is claimed the first approach can disrupt Outlook.

I have tried moving the file in the control panel (Mail) but nothing seems to happen. The result seems to be that Outlook cannot then synchronise subscribed folders.

Reply to
Scott

I'd make a backup before starting.

The OS version may matter a tiny bit. (If a program is old enough, it might stubbornly try to do some things that don't fit as well on a newer OS.)

The Registry key method seems an alternative, but this is why you have a backup, in case you break something along the way.

Googling your combo of OS version and Outlook version, may find an example that works on the first try.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks. I looked at Slapstick but I couldn't get it to work. I shall try again. You are right that it seems to vary with the vintage of Windows and Outlook. Just moving the file and leaving Outlook to rind it again seems to be disapproved of.

What about reinstalling Outlook?

Reply to
Scott

On Wed, 04 May 2022 09:38:04 +0100, Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote: [snip]

PS I think the problem may be that the article presupposes you are moving the pst file on the same disc so once it is moved there is only one file. To move it between discs, would you need to delete the version on the first disc (the existing version) and is there risk involved with this?

Reply to
Scott

I've used Slipstick several times. You need to make sure that there's no part of Outlook still running, using Task Manager, check the Apps and the Processes.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Have you used it to move the file to a different drive or just to change the location within the same drive?

Reply to
Scott