Solid Wall insulation

Hi - I have a 1935 house with solid walls. The whole house needs decorating (evantually) I was wonderign if there is a type of expanded polystyrene covering that you can glue to the brickwork and than put wall paper onto that - maybe about 10 or 15mm thick - I'm sure that would increase the insulation a lot compared to just bricks and wallpaper.

Has anyone heard of anything like this and prices?

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously poisonous fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed, you can get a Kingspan product which is 9mm plasterboard with PU insulation backing in various thicknesses. You either batten + screw or dot + dab it on. Works very well, and is quick to use, but you will lose a minimum of 3-4 inches off the room dimensions.

Reply to
Grunff

Not to mention making all the door and window openings look odd

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you're completely redecorating, new door surrounds, window sills and reveals etc. sort that aspect out.

Reply to
Grunff

Windows is OK..and external doors..just line the alcoves with straight plasterboard and skim.

You don't insulate internal walls so those doors are unaffected.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've found kingspan

to make 32mm thick stuff (20mm insulation 12.5mm plasterboard) that may be an option and U values do not seem to change much with thickness 0.27 to 0.35 for 20 to 77mm thickness insulation - i read the U value of a solid brick wall is about 2.1 so any thickness of insulation makes a big difference - hence I will look to try the thinnest stuff 32mm.

Any idea where I can buy this stuff and get prices? Screwfix and BnQ don't seem to do it.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Builders merchant - look on yell, or pop into your nearest Travis Perkins etc.

Reply to
Grunff

I bought some Gyproc Thermaline Plus sheets 35mm thick from TP last year for £16.60 plus VAT.

Alot cheaper than the other local suppliers.

I'm sure there is a thinner version.

Robert

Reply to
robert