solid floors

I have just moved to a property that has got rock ashpalt floors .Can they be carpeted etc as one would a timber floor. regards

Yes they are pretty standard. Widely used at one time refurbishing old houses. Some modern sites use it. Especially on marshy ground. Or put it this way: that's the only place I have seen it.