Soldering re-chargable cells.

They tended to be too big for use on most UK canals. When Horses were used as motive power they tended be something smaller both to fit under the many low bridges and pass each other on the towpaths, Mules were sometimes used instead of Horses . The bigger breeds were sometimes used on canals where barges rather than narrow boats were able to be used where things were engineered with larger proportions anyway.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Didn't some bridges across rivers and canals gave a gap in the middle so the horse drawn tow-rope could pass though as the horses crossed sides?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes , some canals. Don't know of a river navigation . the Canals were smaller ones so the bridge sections which were only supported at one end need not be too large. The canal to Stratford upon Avon was one and some bridges remain though the gap has often been removed in recent decades so they can stay up. This one still has it.

But the gap wasn't solely for that reason, it was because there was no towpath through the bridge at all so the horse would pass by the bridge past the ends, sometimes they crossed other times they went back down to the same side. The better method for crossing from a towpath on one bank to another was to use a what is called a roving bridge where the towpath crosses the bridge and spirals back so the crossing is completed before the horse passed through the arch. some of the more elaborate ones had a seperate bridge on a bridge as seen here.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What about the River Lea (Navigation) (as opposed to the one that runs parallel to it that isn't navigable)?

Ok.

Nice pic, thanks. ;-)

Ok, makes sense.

Wow, that is cool, thanks. ;-)

I'll show the daughter that and see if she can work out what it's for.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What I meant was that I did not know of any fixed split bridge on a River Navigation as opposed to a narrow canal, not that I did not know of any river navigation's of which there are quite a few. The Lea( Shouldn't it be Lee which differentiates it from the other?) is quite wide and I don't think such a construction would suit.

Some commentators mention that the Stratford was unique in having them but there is one about 15 miles away from me as I type and I'm sitting in North Devon. picture 25 on this gallery

That has been strengthened in the 130 or so years since a the canal closed but photo 9 in the same set shows recovered sections of metalwork from another bridge nearby that no longer exists.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Ok.

Yeah, I thought I read how they were spelled differently for such a reason but again, have since forgotten. ;-(

No wonder this mild dyslexic gets confused: ;-)

Ok. I thought I remembered seeing one but it might have just been a picture somewhere.

There is often 'the exception that breaks the rule'. ;-)

I can't see what was the gap with my eyes from that pic. ;-(

That's a neat use of it to keep the design in peoples minds (a gap in the 'table' might have kept that clearer though). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

It has been Lea here all my life but there was a pre-war cast iron notice board threatening poachers with dire consequences if they dared to fish the *Lee Conservancy*:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I remember that term but wasn't sure where it was from (era / usage).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A barrister I used to work for insisted that up till the 1947 town and country planning act bridle ways were just roads along which horses had to be led by the bridle.

Also as most navigable rivers were established by act of parliament the rights granted for their towpaths were strictly for the conveyance of goods, as time went by and powered boats took over the towpaths fell into disuse and the original landowners took them back in hand, often developing them such that a continuous pathway no longer exists at all. OTOH the towpaths on canals were established as the canal was built on land acquired through an act of parliament and as the canal companies passed away and the canals were acquired by the current trusts so the towpaths became permitted footpaths and a great resource they are too.

A famous name on the bit of canal I frequent (on foot, bike and "Isabella" when she over winters).

AJH

Reply to
news

I hope you're kidding there

of course

Each to their own.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I had one try, but once I couldn't breathe I got out very fast.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was narrowly missed by the shrapnel.

Fork lift with failing battery left on charge overnight, chargehand (sic) takes off battery clip without shutting down charger, spark, massive hydrogen explosion and the battery splits into several large heavy pieces. And a lot of plastic shards. And sulphuric acid We washed down the fizzing floor and the chargehand, and scraped the old battry bits into a plastic bag, and bought a new battery.

Lithium polymer may catch fire, but they don't explode...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming you are talking about the only bit I don't have control of, eg, inside the battery itself then yes, you are right.

Outside of the battery, nope, there will be no poor connections because I will be making them.

Well, a part of it is that of course but the underlying reason is the poor fit of anything other than Lead Acid for me and this roll.

Cons for anything other than Lead Acid (and ignoring Nicad, NiMh or anything exotic here), eg, mainly LiPo / Li-Ion.

1) Highly intermittent use (where LA can be left on trickle charge 24/7).

2) A higher chance of spontaneous combustion if overcharged or damaged.

3) Massive investment in the batteries (and Li technology is still changing fast).

4) Massive investment in the charging equipment (because) ...

5) Batteries need to be stored at a storage charge level requiring fast top-up when required at short notice.

6) Batteries need to be discharged to a storage charge level if charged and not used.

7) Batteries cannot be left unsupervised on charge.

8) Batteries ideally need to be charged, stored and transported in a fireproof enclosure.

On the pro side for Li-xx, they would be lighter (for the same kWh). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So you weren't joking.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you sure none was left stuck in your head? ;-)

Poor maintenance.

Poor usage / training.

But no fire?

But you didn't have to call the fire brigade to try to extinguish the burning building?

And do:

But the container they are being stored in then could?

Li-Ion can explode though, and gel LA rarely do, nor leak acid if damaged.

(worth watching at the end just for the slo-mo). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Correct. Why should I have been (and please don't judge others by your own (in)abilities). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m