solder ring woes

I'll keep a look out for similar products here then, thanks. The stuff we use works well but it's always interesting to see the alternatives. BTW the mesh on the plaster sanding product has about 5mm holes IIRC.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Yup. It's definitely not a Scotch Bright branded product but it might be a French version of the same thing. Would have been bought in a BM or shed type place though, intended for sanding rather than cleaning use.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

I use some green stuff, much like a heavy duty scouring pad, called 'Scotchbrite' and is made by 3M.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

As a matter of interest, Holly, which do you think is the least bad of the French sheds?

- Castorama

- Leroy Merlin

- Bricorama

- Mr Bricolage

- Bricomarche

- BHV

- Autres ?

or is it somewhat regional/by store?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh dear, Andy, that's a tricky question! Almost everything we use comes from the one of two local builders merchants, because of the nature of the materials, because we often have to have stuff delivered, because we have accounts with them and because they are nearer. Timber from a timber merchant for the same reasons, unless we are producing it ourselves. However, their stocks of fiddly bits, tools, consumables, decorating materials is limited and more expensive so we use the sheds. Plumbing and electrical stuff is considerably cheaper in the sheds. Electrical stuff we only buy for ourselves, and plumbing stuff for ourselves and sometimes friends and neighbours if we are doing a favour type job for them because technically we're not allowed to do plumbing. Since it's usually me doing the shed trips, it also depends on what else I want do because it means going to either Limoges, Perigueux or Angouleme which are all some distance away, and not all the sheds have branches in all the towns. AND...some of the sheds are franchises and have stores of different sizes, so Mr Bric in Limoges for instance is much better than Mr Bric in Angouleme. Soooo, that said, and bearing in mind that we never buy timber in them which would probably interest you most, comments below:

Not handy for me unless going to the hospital, not often thank goodness :-) Average, bit more expensive than most, good ordering system, have a good website so you can see what they have in advance. Online ordering and delivery looks good, never tried it though. Sometimes have good special offers and if they are out of stock you can order the items anyway.

Never been to one of these, heard they are very good, specially for doors windows and staircases, good stuff but expensive, but that's mostly hearsay. There's another one similar, name escapes me just now.

No idea, have heard the name, none round here.

One of the best, depending on branch. If I lived in a big town with a choice of stores I would go there first.

OK, nothing special but we use them most because they are the only shed that has a small branch easily accessible.

Never heard of them.

Brico-depot!!

Limited range, pile-em high sell-em cheap place, overworked staff, closed at lunchtimes, not enough car park space, very stressful all round! But...for what they sell, as long as you only want basic stuff, they are by far the best. Worth a special trip for plumbing and electrical things especially, good for basic bathroom suites. Kitchens best of a bad bunch (except Castorama, good range of kitchens there if you like them) but cheap. Wouldn't be your sort of place I don't think :-)

Bati-Leclerc.

We have a smallish one about 20 miles away. Best place for paint, OK for other stuff, good offers on tools sometimes, wouldn't go as often if they weren't handy, bigger branches might be better.

Weldom.

Think this one would be your favourite :-) Not especially good for materials but a great range of good quality tools, better quality stuff in general than the sheds.

Regionally it could be very different, I really don't know. By store definitely.

These things are a bit subjective anyway, I suspect others are going to disagree completely with some of the above.

Hope that was of interest after all that typing :-)

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

at all or just for other people? In the sheds that I've visited, there is always a comprehensive range of plumbing fittings, materials and tools and I don't get the impression of there being many trade people visiting....

Yes, I realised when I asked that you are quite a distance from any of the larger towns so that other factors would come into play.

didn't know that....

Mmmm... Part of Kingfisher and quite similar to B&Q in some ways.

I've been to a couple. One in Angers (I remember that because I was walking round it on 11/09/2001 in the afternoon and there was a large group watching a TV with mutterings of "mon dieu" etc.) and the other in suburbs of Paris.

Yes, I did notice the joinery. Some good displays and comprehensive stock of tools and hardware as well.

I believe that this is the one in the Mousquetaires supermarket group (Intermarche etc)?

I've been to two of these. Bazar de l'Hotel de Ville. It's really a department store. The one in the centre of Paris (Rivoli) has a legendary tools, DIY and crafts department, where I can easily spend half a day.

even have a timber and sheet materials department, although how one would get a sheet of 2440x1220 on the Metro I don't know. :-)

It looks as though there is one opening in Bordeaux, although I notice from the map that that is a tidy step for you as well.

I haven't seen that one. Is it tied in with the LeClerc hypermarket chain?

yes it was, thanks. I was really wondering if I had missed anything.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But its use is specifically prohibited on potable water pipes.

Mind you, exactly how "they'd" know once the joint was made I don't know (apart from the unfortuante house occupants getting heavy metal doses).

I use lead free throughout, and have never had any solder flow problems with end feed fittings using a decent flux & emery cloth.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Thanks everyone for all the words of wisdom. It appears the problem was that I was applying too much flux. I was applying it generously using an artists' paint brush, and I think this was causing the solder to become too wet? I've now produced a number of joints with solid rings by applying the flux sparingly with my finger. Incidentally, what do other people consider the best way to apply the flux?

btw. I've previously had no problems doing end feed joints using the same amount of flux that resulted in my forementioned solder ring problem. I've recently got a batch of solder ring fittings and thought I'd give them a try.

I say I produced a number of 'correct' joints, but after doing a pipe run with a number of joints the time it took for the solder to show on joints started to increase, to the point I was slightly concerned about oxidization and a fickle joint. I use a butane/propane torch and there is still plenty of fuel left in. Does the heat of a torch decrease with reduced fuel levels in the cartridge, or is it possible that the jet of the torch has become slightly blocked and thus restricted?

Thanks again

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

It won't be long before most DIY plumbing is effectively outlawed here, mark my words!

Prescott will use the excuse that DIY plumbing wastes water and leads to inefficient heating systems.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

If you can apply it with your finger - and still have that finger - I'd guess you're using the wrong flux. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What flux are you using?

? I was applying it generously using

I use Laco, but my little finger is only just small enough to go into a 15mm fitting!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why's that, then? I use that method, it's caused no skin problems or anything..

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Poppycock. I use Copalux flux, and put it on with my finger.

Looking at the spiel though :

A medium active flux, self cling for normal work. Oxidised surfaces should be cleaned before applying flux. AVOID EYE AND SKIN CONTACT.

Oops ;-)

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

You may, however, wish to wash your hands before going for a wee wee.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But of course. Same goes for after chopping chillies ;-)

I never noticed any problem putting the flux on with my finger but then I don't seem to have very sensitive skin.

I do use barrier creams and latex gloves aplenty now, something I never did during my apprenticeship when I was young and foolish ... ;)

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Well.... it looks as though the relevant mediaeval guild, the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers is already gearing itself up for just that. They seem to have the same script writers as CORGI.

haven't yet found the web site for the Association of Shelving and Storage (ASS)

Reply to
Andy Hall

In that case the public needs to be able to sue the pants off them if they then fail to provide fully qualified and experienced tradesmen to do the work.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The message from snipped-for-privacy@stuff.com (Sponix) contains these words:

Can we counterclaim that bastard deputy prime minsters piss everybody off and get their slimy tentacles into other people's business and should be strangled?

Reply to
Guy King

Weeelll, we can't do it as part of the business. We are registered as 'construction de maisons individuelles', which is the only category which covers more than one trade (not an easy thing to do in France to be a 'general builder' unless you have had a building business before, you have to fit into the right boxes of qualifications and experience, and luckily my husband does!) . We would otherwise have to choose masonry or joinery or roofing or carpentry etc etc. The only things we are not allowed to do AFAIK are plumbing and electrics. So, we can do our own no problem. I don't know TBH but I don't think there is anything to stop anyone doing plumbing for friends/relations/other people but they can't do it as a job and can't be paid for it. I *think* it's the same for electrics, nothing like Part P as far as I know, but it's not something we ever do so I'm not sure. The fact that all electrical materials are available easily would suggest there is a big enough market and that DIY must be common too.

That would be my impression too. Plumbers we work with tend to deal with only one trade supplier, which can be tricky if someone doesn't want Ideal Standard or Grohe for instance :-)

Like shoe shops! :-)

Haven't been to B&Q for years, I'll go to see when I'm next home if I haven't got more pressing things to do :-) Carrefour are part of Kingfisher too.

We were all up the woods cutting timber that day until someone turned on the news and we got sidetracked.

.

Yes, but it's one of the franchised ones so some own brand products are common to all but other stock and special offers vary between stores.

I'll know where to send him then, thanks!

Yes, and the traffic can be awful depending on where one is going, I only go there if someone insists I go to Ikea!

Yes, they are sometimes next to each other. If they are then stuff usually sold in the supermarket is sold in the Bati bit instead and you never know where to find it!

Not much anyway :-)

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

plumbers and needing to be registered since the year dot (probably

1906). In my BCO days I was a Companion member (order of the bath? ) and they published a very good journal and I went to quite a few technical meetings where one met just the sort of plumbers one would like to employ. There may be an element of protectionism but there was also a very strong ethos of professionalism too.

But they are on the wrong tack here: the real problem is not the DIYer who might screw up his own but has to live with the consequences if he does, rather the cowboy plumber who is screwing up multiple houses each week. I bet the one whose work I had to fix is still running wastes uphill and the wrong way round swept tees.

Reply to
Tony Bryer