solder gas pipe

Preciselely. A bodge that isn't good enough always costs more.

I would peronallly for gas be more inclined to get a bit of car body filler and some bandage and wrap the gas pipe with that.

I have never found droppong a blob of solder over a pipe hole seals worth a damn. If the flux works and the solder flows, it doesn't cover the hole. If it is blobbed on, it is not secure or gastight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually a self tapper screwed in and THEN soldered is not a bad fix at all.

Solder does not fill gaps, thats the problem. You need pretty good fits for solder to work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I wasn't /that/ keen as a schoolboy that I had a blowtorch, solder and some means of draining the pipe!

Reply to
Guy King

actually i was sat on my arse screwing floorboards down cos i'm unable to crouch or kneel :-p

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

The last slip coupler I bought cost 9p. I didn't even need it, I just needed

1p to bump up the order value to get free delivery and it was the cheapest thing I could find. It came sellotaped to the box containing the radiator I actually wanted.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I don't understand how you get into a sitting position on the floor without crouching on the way down. Do you just sort of bend over and fall backwards?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Yep! lean forwards, put fist on floor, turn and lower and at the same time put other hand on floor to lower body down whilst sliding legs forward. Its quite easy after 14 months of having to do it

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

rate, if they're still selling it - I bought a stick last year ). The high lead content leads to it going pasty when heated, not liquid, and it can then be smoothed and wiped into position with a damp rag. This was the trad way of fixing pipes together, some of my plumbing still consists of wiped joints.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

14 months of arsing about? ;-)
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How about thermite, gets the water out the way and melts the copper for an invisible repair :)

Reply to
Matt

The message from Matt contains these words:

I remember doing redox reactions in chemistry. We were allowed to choose a metal/metal-oxide pair. I chose thermite. The chemistry teacher gave me a very black look and commented that some people had been thinking for themselves!

Reply to
Guy King