Soil stack pipe question

I've been asked to help out a friend. He is putting in a second upstairs loo and has a single interior stack pipe which is boxed in and tiled in most places. Looking though a small aperture in the boxing in, the pipe seems to be black and tarry on the outside and not as smooth as plastic. Is this 'pitch fibre' pipe? I've heard of this but not seen it before.

Can this be fitted with an adaptor to allow a UPVC branch from the new loo to be fitted? How would this adaptor be fitted with minmal disruption to the tiled boxing in? The pipe is fixed in concrete at the bottom and fed through the tiled roof. Ithas two loos an all the house waste water piped into it. Replacement of the whole stack would be a serious upheaval.

Any advice/weblinks etc gratefully received.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wouldn't it just be an iron or steel pipe covered with some form of anti-corrosion stuff?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi David,

We thought that it might be CI and so tested with a magnet. Definitely non ferrous and too irregular for plastic. In fact it felt like it had a lengthwise ridge or seam around the back near the wall.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin