Soft material to go in oven

What soft material would be OK in a domestic oven used for cooking.

I want something that I could attach to the ends of the telescopic rails to stop them damaging the glass door if they have not been pushed in properly when the door is closed.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Silicone rubber. You can buy silicone hose in a variety of diameters and in relatively short lengths from eBay. It's widely used by those who tinker with motor vehicles. It's also handy for replacing fuel hoses on mowers, chain saws, etc since it is more flexible than PVC, and doesn't harden.

You might also consider Sugru which (I think) is silicone, but they do claim an upper temperature limit of 180C.

Reply to
newshound

Oven shelf edge protectors

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Silicone tube, split so it fits over the rack? Perhaps make some strips to tie it in place.

You can use silicone baking trays and oven liners so I assume it should be ok temp wise.

Reply to
Brian Reay

an oven with pyrolytic cleaning function?

Reply to
Robin

The silicone used for those cooking trays used for cupcakes etc.

Reply to
Jack98

Something made of teflon like you get in frying pans, maybe? OK its not that soft but its not as hard as metal. Have you thought of cutting the rods a bit so you would need to be particularly stupid to leave them that far out? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Michael Chare brought next idea :

You can buy a soft silicon rubber designed to be fitted to oven racks, to save burning yourself when making skin contact with the hot oven racks. Would that work?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can get dedicated oven shelf anti-burn protectors from the likes ot Aldi-Lidl that have a /\/\/\/\ profile so that not only do you not touch hot metal you only touch the peaks. Its a soft slightly more highly filled silicone rubber stable at temperatures a domestic oven can reach.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The idea of the telescopic rails is that you can easily pull the shelf out to make it easier to remove whatever is being cooked. Unfortunately the rails will hit the glass of the door if they are not pused back in properly. I think the glass may fail if it gets scratched.

Thanks for all the replies I did not know about silicone rubber.

Reply to
Michael Chare

A small dolop of Fantastic Elastic Flexible Glue

I found it on sale in Poundland.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No evidence that that will survive oven temps. Silicone anti burn strips certainly will and cost about the same.

Reply to
Jack98

I got some from the local Pound shop, thank you for the suggestion. It does say on the packet that it can withstand high temperature.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Adrian Caspersz explained :

I just happened to be in Poundland yesterday, so I picked up a tube to try. I found a (cold) use for some immediately, sticking some plastic DPC to a metal box outdoor, to deflect rain. It seemed to work fine on that little job. It does say its OK to high temperatures, but doesn't say how high.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Maybe it turns into explosive at a high temperature so there is nobody left alive to contradict them? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff