Oven Door Cleaning

We had a new oven fitted about a month ago and although it has been cleaned regularly, the glass on the oven door does not seem to want to clean, regardless what we have used.

I obviously do not want to use an abrasive given that it is glass, but you can still seem the grease smears and marks on the glass when the door is closed and it is now becoming annoying, as I do not want to scratch the glass trying to remove the grease that is on there.

We have tried using The Mr Muscle oven cleaner, Dettol Multi Action spray, simple Fairy Liquid left on there to soak and rubbed off after with a soft cloth.

If anyone can let me know something that could work on a glass door of an oven then I would appreciate it.

Many thanks to anyone that can help

Reply to
Dino M

A lye-based cleaner should work, although caustic. A milder way to clean it is to place paper towels over the glass, wet it with household ammonia, soak for 2 hours, then wipe clean. Sometimes the door must be dissembled and glass removed to clean thoroughly.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've had a simliar problem with "dark" glass doors on an oven - only the tiniest amount of grease (often from fingerprints) gives a rainbow effect on the glass. I've been using spntex glass cloths to polish off the grease.

Reply to
Alexandra

I would just like to say thanks for the suggestions, but I did think of something and gave it a go and it does work a treat.

I used a window scraper, the kind that you can get from B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc.... that uses a Stanley blade. I then scraped the glass and the grease came off fine. It did smear some of the grease but I would recommend that you scrape the glass and get off the worst and then wipe over with a normal kitchen cleaner that has a degreaser or a strong Fairy Liquid with a soft cloth. If you still have any marks left then scrape again and then clean with the soft cloth

My wife was more than pleased with the result of this, so it must have been good.

I just thought I would share the tip with others on here.

Reply to
Dino M

After cleaning my oven, either by self-cleaning or with spray cleaners, I use a single edged razor, the type that painters use to clean windows after paint has splattered and dried on them and it works great. I also use the razor on any porcelain enamel areas of the oven when I am having a hard time cleaning up grease spots that don't seem to want to come off. Good luck!

Reply to
Genealogist